I need to get away from it all - or help me choose an exotic vacation destination!

Life has been ruthless lately; got to thinking today I just need to get away from it all…relax…and go be uninhibited. In essence, I NEED A VACATION. :slight_smile:

So my thoughts about this led me into a few ideas: I’m looking at vacation packages for Cancun, Mexico…various islands in the Caribbean, as well as Hawaii and some other “get away from it all” type locales.

I’d really appreciate to hear some stories and opinions on these types of places - since I’ve never set foot off of North America “solo”. Keep in mind I’m a single guy at the moment. :slight_smile:

Well I dont know much about the Caribbean, but if you want to see some smokingly hot women go to Milan, Italy.

Just make sure to put a rubberband around your head, lest your jaw will break when it hits the ground. :stuck_out_tongue:

The British Virgin Islands are beautiful. English is spoken there, the currency is U.S. Dollars and you don’t even need a passport if you’re a U.S. citizen. There is great diving and snorkling there and a fun nightlife. Plan to go during a full moon and hit the full moon party at the Bomba Shack. One of the best parties anywhere on Earth, particulary if you drink some of the special “tea” served at midnight.

Haj

if you wanna really get away from it all, go to Wabuska, Nevada. But bring a tent, cause there aint nowhere else to sleep! :smiley:

take a cruise. they wait on you hand and foot, the scenery comes to you while you sit on a lounge chair with a frosty cold one. and the food is awsome!

Anguilla, BVI
Moorea, French Polynesia
Tulum, Mexico

How adventurous are you in general? Do you speak even a bit of any other languages, or do you care if you don’t always know what’s going on?

Avoid tourist resorts like Cancun at all costs; you might as well not leave the U.S., plus you’ll be inundated by annoying people trying to sell you time shares and overpriced souvenirrs. If you must go to Mexico, go somewhere a bit more off the beaten path, like Oaxaca. Or try Guatemala; lots of cool Mayan ruins, jungles, etc. (You also gave us no idea of what your budget is, or when you’re planning on traveling.) The best break from routine is to shake up your brain a bit by going somewhere really different from where you live. A good first trip outside the U.S. might include, say, England; personally, I loved Spain and Portugal, especially Portugal; people were very friendly, and prices were more reasonable than places like France or Italy (although this was 1988, so it may have changed somewhat after they both joined the E.U.)
If you’re a bit more adventurous, my friends all loved Hungary, and the guys came back with stars in their eyes over Hungarian women. I haven’t been there yet, but it’s high on the list. Of course, I’m a little nuts; I actually went to Siberia of my own free will. (OK, I got a grant, so it was basically free. Plus it was summertime.)
Wherever you go, keep an open mind, try new things, talk to strangers, and have fun!

Eva,

English is my main language. But I can communicate in Spanish decently (and a little in Portuguese). I had had a previous trip planned for Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, but plans for that fell through. ( I will travel there someday though…)

Anyhow, a particularly adventurous vacation (or intellectual vacation) is not what I’m looking for this go around, but rather, one where I can relax, let my guard down somewhat, enjoy the scenery and party, etc…

Time & cost wise - something along the lines of 4-7 days, and preferably not exceeding a thousand bucks for hotel, airfare and food combined. I can maybe budge a little though…

I’m gonna take a look at some of the suggestions here and research them a little.

Thanks for the help! :slight_smile:

Belize is a good place for a budget trip. I spent 10 days there for about $1000 (including my budget for meals and all my activities); airfare from LAX included.

Wonderful diving - the second largest barrier reef in the world.

I’ll second the remark about Cancun and also add that Hawaii will not be easy as easy on the wallet as somewhere in Central America.