I never realized how good the final duel was in Empire Strikes Back

You mean the Flying Chipmunk of Fury?

The other cool thing about the ESB duel is that they basically spend two movies building up to it. Through-out New Hope and ESB, you have space-knights with super-powers carrying around glowing laser swords. You know eventually two of them are going to duel with them and its going to be awesome, but aside from the brief Vader Obi-won fight, where they basically just poke at each other while exchanging banter before Obi-Won surrenders, Lucas makes you wait through 5 and a half hours worth of movie before the obvious pay-off.

Well… as I recall Vader isn’t as such quick or even showing a great range of motion in ESB or Jedi.

Don’t his hands rarely leave what would be his strikezone in baseball? Luke’s the one who’s swinging wildly and quickly, Vader is mostly blocking with the saber, never really lunges.

Oh man, the Obi-wan/Vader battle is kind of like the Yoda/Dooku situation, I don’t even like to think about it. Every single time I watch Star Wars I’m disappointed that it’s not a better fight.

Damn it Hypno-Toad, my office mates were startled when I read “finish him” aloud and with flourish.:slight_smile:

That’s another thing, Dooku, I could almost forgive that horrible moniker if his lightsabering had been up to snuff but it sucked. I’m not all that into expanded universe stuff but I remember reading that Dooku’s style was more in line with fencing and that was reflected in his strange lightsaber hilt. The hilt thing made little sense to me since fencing foils aren’t curved like that but whatever. My point is, I was looking forward to seeing a visibly different fighting technique and I don’t think they really delivered on that score.

When it comes to the prequels, we have the good guys double teaming the bad guys which just makes me root for the wrong team a little.

This is more properly known as* Frogger vs. Dracula.*

Personally, I think that the Yoda duel should have had his lightsabre flying around like crazy, pretty much like we saw… But Yoda himself just standing perfectly still, concentrating, and wielding it through the Force.

The real reason the Obi-Wan Vader duel sucked was because they didn’t use stunt doubles. It’s really David Prowse and Alec Guinness doing the whole thing.

I thought maybe they’d add in some new shots for the Special Edition to spice the scene up a bit. I think it could be done seamlessly and nobody would complain too much as long as the essence remained the same, and they didn’t pull another switcheroo.

I agree, and that is what I expected when I saw the film.

No - several lightsabres.

Chuck Klosterman put it best:

You’re joking, right?

“Luke, I have something to tell you. I am not left handed.” :stuck_out_tongue:

I knew that was coming…

What people complained about was when a scene was changed to a different outcome, or was just poorly done. Nobody complained about the extra shots in the Death Star trench run, or the adjusted CG shots of the Millennium Falcon; it was only the bad CGI Jabba, or that Greedo got a shot off that riled everyone up.

What they look like is what they would look like if the prequel fights were influenced by the showy Asian style of movie fighting, as they undoubtedly were. This style pays nothing more than a passing nod to the idea that the participants are trying to kill one another, while basically comprising a series of ostentatiously choreographed and obviously co-operative high speed dance moves that bear some vague resemblance to fighting.

No, no, it goes the other way 'round:

Luke I know something you don’t know.
Vader What is that?
Luke I am not left-handed!
zzwwiiiiit!
Vader How about now, smartass?

And it’s in that last “serious” bit where Luke lands what looks to me to be a pretty solid strike on Vader’s shoulder complete with Vader shouting out in pain. Vader dominated but I think he was surprised by how well Luke fought. Impressively. Most impressively.

See, I always figured that what Vader and Obi Wan were doing was feeling each other out. They hadn’t faced off in years. What had Vader learned, and how had becoming a cyborg affected his abilities? Had Obi Wan lost a step due to age and rustication? Their “poking” at each other was their way of taking each others’ measure, and Obi Wan conceded because he felt that was the best way to get Luke safely off the Death Star.

<fan wanking for all I’m worth>

I’m afraid when I think about Luke fighting Vader the only image that sticks in my head is the one from RotJ when Luke kicks Vader down some stairs and Vader does this really fake end over end thing in the air. It looked really fake to me, at any rate. It’s at the beginning of this Youtube clip.

I just noticed something while rewatching these fight scenes on Youtube.

In Empire Strikes Back at the beginning of their final duel Vader says to Luke: “Obi-wan has taught you well.”

At the beginning of their final duel in RotJ, Vader again says “Obi-wan has taught you well.”

Did Vader think ghost Obi-wan was training Luke the whole time?