I pit DrDeth

Which is why I avoid linking GQ threads from here. Having this thread title show up in GQ strikes me as the antithesis of that forum.

I don’t disagree, but I still think it would be for the better. The whole point of the pit is to keep the vitriol out of the other forums. The backlinking just redirects it to inappropriate locations. From a dispassionate standpoint, it’s problematic, even if it really is funny as hell.

Direct linking to a Pit thread has always been the norm here. The implementation here may be slightly more blatant from the standpoint of the object of the Pitting, but the basic idea has been around a long time. Those who want to avoid the Pit can still do so.

Extremely dull titles are not acceptable in the Pit. I think they should draw Warnings. :smiley:

No doubt. But if, prior to the move, I’d repeatedly hyperlinked to this thread using its title, I would have been modded and rightfully so. Banning links to the Pit is obviously untenable, but having a new rule for titles isn’t.

These are a few of my favorite things!

*thimps

[slow clap for *thimps]

I do that at church, as a protest against shoddy rhyming of old hymns. Everyone else just blindly ends one line with “blood” then comes to the end and sings “…God”.

Instead of yelling “What the Christ on a Crappy Crucifix, people! Don’t pretend you’re rhyming when you’re not!”… I just sing “Gud” at the end.

We have enough rules in the regular forums, these days sometimes enforced with enthusiastically overzealous moderation. The Pit remains mercifully free of most of those rules, and I for one would like to keep it that way, TQVM. I honestly don’t think the “insults” via backlinks to Pit threads are a real problem. They would be if someone were to stalk another poster and constantly backlink their posts, but that hasn’t happened. I think we’ve been fairly responsible about linking to Pit threads and have avoided doing it excessively or unnecessarily. If someone were to abuse this feature they could be modded accordingly.

This.

Yeah, I was pretty tempted to make the second post in the thread be a link to some more dumbassery, but decided the hilarious side-effect of that would be a dickish move, and didn’t do it.

If you (any you) really want to respond to a DD post in some other non-Pit thread with a ref to here, just keep your comment within that category’s rules & wrap your link to here in a spoiler. It probably conforms with the spirit, and is visually equivalent to what we used to do in vBulletin. i.e. something like this:

vBulletin style:

I disagree with your {whatever}. In fact I disagree so vehemently that my real thoughts are here in this link to the Pit. Have fun.

Discourse style:

I disagree with your {whatever}. In fact I disagree so vehemently that my real thoughts are here in the Pit: [spoiler]I pit DrDeth

At least on mobile, the link shows up separately between posts in the thread. It can’t be blurred.

The problem is not linking from the GQ or GD thread to the pit, the problem is, if you link from the pit to the thread in which a poster was a jackass, so that those in the pit can see the post in its original context, then there is a link autogenerated by discourse that not only links to the thread, but has its title.

[Emily Litella Voice] Never Miiiind![/ELV] :wink:

If we were going to deal with the links to Pit threads, I would say the solution would not be rules, but to fix the software. @codinghorror seemed to understand why the Pit thread is near the bottom, so maybe he’d understand why we might not want links to threads.

That said, I don’t see anything wrong with avoiding directly linking or using the QUOTE button. (You can still quote them with copy and paste.) I do it a lot, albeit primarily in the Troll thread not to attract their attention.

I will admit there are times when I am not ready to deal with the Pit, and would prefer not to be notified. I am unclear on whether they just have the little link below their post, or if they get notified that their post was quoted or linked to. The latter would, I think, be something undesirable.

I do prefer a link to the thread in question, it allows one to get context if you are not familiar with it.

Do note you can post a bare URL if you are clever about it.

​https://boards.straightdope.com/t/drdeth-is-a-fuckin-jackass/933971/417 becomes

​https://boards.straightdope.com/t/drdeth-is-a-fuckin-jackass/933971/417

­ also works, but I suggest only using it for a URL on a line by itself. (It stands for soft hyphen: a hyphen that appears only when a word is wrapped).

^ Bookmarked.

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: To make no mistakes is not in the power of man; but from their errors and mistakes the wise and good learn wisdom for the future. — Plutarch