I pit DrDeth

And started by virtue of the bullshitter having the audacity to call bullshit on me in GD. For which he was rightly warned.

My dad served in the Pacific in WW2, and he loves to tell people about his only “war wound” … the sunburn he got, skinny-dipping on some nameless island.

That’s like my dad telling people about his only “war wound” – broke his wrist while roller skating on shore leave in Honolulu. He loved to joke about how that was how he got his Purple Heart.

So I’m like super duper proud of all your granddads, every single one, but may I humbly suggest that somebody start a “My gramps fought in the war!” thread, and leave this one for its intended purpose? The point about DrDeth’s silly war stories is pretty well made.

As is, I would venture to add, the point about FigNorton’s regrettable interjection and subsequent apology.

So, hey, izzat DrDeth a fuckin jackass, or what?

I just wanted to tell my uncle’s blimp-induced pig stampede story. Cuz I thought it was hilarious.

I disagree. I think it was trolling, and the half-assed back and forth apology is just more of the same (keeps the discussion going that much longer). Anyway, I was on the “I don’t care what your granddad did during the war” train before it was cool, though perhaps too subtly:

I think we’ve all been avoiding the threads where he’s been bullshitting thus don’t really have any examples for the intended purpose of this thread. However, bumping the thread with war stories and other stuff keeps “DrDeth is a fuckin jackass” on the main page, increasing the chances that the target will at least see those words.

Gotta say I have mixed feelings about the thread title showing up as a discourse-enabled link in other threads. On the one hand I feel a little bad about how it’s inserting an insult into threads where insults aren’t allowed. On the other hand, it makes me giggle.

It’s a board feature and I have no control over board features. So it’s not my fault that @DrDeth, who thinks the Pit shouldn’t even exist, has pit insults and links to the pit added to every post of his where he’s a big enough jackass that someone chooses to quote it in this thread.

Agreed 100%.

If only that could be shrunk to avatar-size and still be legible.

I should point out that that was said only under duress, as he was getting flak from two different mods for his disingenuous jackassery. After that (now closed) gun control thread, a normal person who had been the subject of such comments might seriously reconsider his participation in future threads on gun control. Even an exceptionally stupid person, if reasonably sane, would surely realize by now the reputation they were getting from their idiotic postings on this subject, and never post on gun control again if they did not indeed flounce in shame from the board entirely.

With that in mind, I can guarantee that DrDeth will be back in the next gun thread with guns blazing, so to speak, and tell us all over again that we are all bigots if we refuse to compare the USA to Mexica, Honduras, and Yemen when discussing gun violence. Because the adjective “sane” does not apply to DrDeth. What does apply is the noun phrase “gun nut”, aka “the problem, not the solution”.

Now he’s trying to turn random threads into gun control discussions. So far, no one’s taken the bait.

Someone more enterprising than I could make a similarly titled pit thread for each poster and play that game all over.

But what’s the alternative? To never directly quote a post you want to respond to in the Pit? I think it’s a useful feature for boards that don’t have a Pit. For this particular board it’s a bit of a design flaw but it’s unreasonable to expect other people to just never link to posts.

Linking to this thread creates a direct personal insult in non-Pit threads, which is obviously against the rules in any other context. It is the functional equivalent of responding to the post by saying, “DrDeth, you’re a fucking jackass.”

Objectively, a fair workaround would be for pit threads directed at posters to have neutral titles, like “Here is a Pit thread for DrDeth.”

Subjectively, I think another good way around the issue is to not be a jackass.

The spirit would still be there.

And some would have lots linked to it and others fairly little?

For example, create a Pit thread for QtM … not going to get many links. Not unreasonable to direct those with buttons pushed to a separate thread in the appropriate forum to vent.