I pit DrDeth

My father was in the Navy in WWII. Wanna know how he ended his Brilliant Military Career?

Medical discharge for throwing his back out.

Isn’t that known as a breveted back?

Only if it happens during a line-crossing ceremony.

Wow, what a colossal piece of shit he is in there demanding to know if you have a Combat Action Ribbon when the closest that he’s ever been to anything remotely military was his father’s alleged retirement in 1946. I’d say its stunningly bad behavior even for him, but I’d really be phoning that one in. Wanting military or combat experience from others as qualifications that he entirely lacks himself does seem to be a habit for him.

In the thread where he totally didn’t cite his years playing Axis&Allies as the source of his knowledge of all things WWII, he did a bit of a fuckie-wuckie trying to dismiss historian John Keegan’s qualifications on the topic of WWII on the grounds that he never served in the military. If he’d spent any of his college years learning history by actually reading anything by Keegan rather than learning about war by pushing plastic toy soldiers about, he’d have known the reason Keegan never served was because he was unfit for service due to tuberculosis at the age of 13. That, of course, didn’t prevent him from being the senior lecturer on military history at Royal Military Acadamy Sandhurst, the UK’s equivalent of West Point and the British Army certainly didn’t think it disqualified him. Insulting the disabled indeed.

It really would be nice if he did.

Only if it happens in the Brevet region of France. Otherwise, it’s just a sparkling field commission.

That’s the Army version.

I know nothing about the British Airforce at the time, but I would assume that airmen had completely different helmets to the troops on the ground, and especially those in close, cramped positions such as a tail gunner.

But an army/airforce office worker could be issued a “Brodie” helmet for drills and such, and rarely actually use it.

I don’t see why aircrew would wear a Brodie helmet at all. Except for (air raid) drills and such on the ground, seeing as that particular style of helmet was most appropriate for protection against shrapnel and fragmentary-style debris raining down from above. Anyway, it seems a flimsy basis to hang any particular outcome on when it comes to belief or disbelief.

I would agree with you, to be fair I have close to zero interest in his service, so am not sufficiently interested to research it.

Maybe he really was a tail-gunner in a Lancaster. That would please the 5 year old me. Maybe he was in some dull accounting job. That would please the current me.

Spineless liar tries to play the “it’s bigoted to call out bigots” and “you’re the real bigot” games…

I’m going to agree with drdeth here. “Karen” is a gendered term used to put down privileged women who do stuff that is routinely accepted by privileged men. Even lauded, as it’s often seen as “righting wrongs” when done by men.

That’s not my experience with the word. A dude acting similarly is likely to be called an entitled douche, or just plain asshole.

Even allowing that it is gendered (although I’ve seen enough “male Karen” vids and articles that that’s not so clear-cut anymore), that’s not the same as misogynist. For comparison - “Chad” used to refer to some dude-bro to isn’t misandrist, even though it’s as gendered as Karen if not more so (never seen a Buzfeed list of female Chads, for instance. I have of male Karens).

And no, I don’t accept this kind of bullshit from privileged men any more than I do from privileged women.

There are times when you ought to talk to the manager.

Yes, “Karen” is sometimes used to describe a privileged asshole. But I’ve seen an awful lot of uses in the last year where it’s really about keeping women in their place, which is to defer to men and not rock the boat. If you want to say someone is a privileged asshole, I’d greatly prefer if you used those words, and not “Karen”.

How about you don’t tell me how to use a word that originated in Black culture, and has a specific meaning that isn’t just generic “privileged asshole”, from your position of White woman privilege?

This is White people telling me I can’t use “wypipo”, all over again.

Then call out those usages, not when it’s used correctly for some White woman closing down a Black kid’s lemonade stand, or trying to get a Black birder arrested.

I don’t use Karen for mere “I want to talk to the manager” crap, I use it for outright bigoted White women (although there’s the odd Black and other PoC Karen too).

Having in been born in a country that had entrenched rascism and currently living in a country that invented apartheid, I feel that “wypipo” is a little racist.

Not that I care very much, because my ancestors were massively racist; and I don’t feel a lot of need to support their misguided opinions, which led to horrendous actions.

Being called “wypipo” - meh. It is kind of hard to take offense, compared to how my ancestors (and this includes my own parents) treated Black people in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe and before that in South Africa.

I started a thread a while ago to address this and similar points. “Wypipo” is definitely not systemic oppression. I don’t think it qualifies as personal bigotry, the way I understand it to be used most of the time, although it certainly could be used in that way. Whether it counts as being a jerk is not something I will address, although it is obviously insulting.

That may be where it originated. And the first time i saw the word, it was in the context of that Black birder. (A man i know slightly, by the way. We went to college together, and we were on the same Zoom call watching the presidential election results trickle in a couple of years ago. So I followed that story pretty closely.) And i didn’t think anything of it at the time, except that i have a friend named Karen.

But that’s not how it’s being used by white men in the white community. And it IS being used by white men to keep white women in their place. That’s a context you should be aware of, when posting on a board of mostly white men. You are even aware that it’s used to describe a woman who asks to speak to the manager.

Reading the article you linked, though, I’ll agree that it’s absurd to equate “Karen” with the n word.

Also, looking at what you actually said:

There’s no way, in the context of that quote, to know who you are referring to by “Karens”.

I’ve heard this claim before, and I’m not sure I’ve seen it in action. Can you point to an example?

None of this discussion should detract from the message the DrDeth is a tool. Carry on.