I pit EGG

This is omelets; umlauts is down the hall.

I’ve never been a big fan of egg dishes, I think when I was young they were one of the things that I decided I disliked without really trying.

Recently, I have tried them out, but my general reaction is, “well, that’s not horrible, but it’s not too tasty either. Bring me meat or pancakes or something else good for breakfast!” :wink: I’d probably eat them in non-miniscule quantity if I was really hungry and there wasn’t much else available, but not otherwise.

To each their own.

I made a beautiful scalloped corn dish the other day… it just blew up and souffled so nice thanks to the eggs. Really a corn custard dish when it gets down to it- although I’m not generally a huge fan of custards, flan, or meringue, I still enjoy the scalloped corn. And I love eggs fried and scrambled, love egg sandwiches, and poached eggs. Like to eat hardboiled eggs with green onions- take turns dipping them in salt and pepper.

To the Hippo person:

Stay away from French food, for some strange reason, they like eggs :).

But I have some experience where you’re coming from. My beloved wife, of more years than you’ve probably been alive, is deathly afraid of undercooked eggs and how they will kill you when you’re not looking. So, I’ve had to introduce my children to properly cooked eggs piece-meal over time so that now they ask me to scramble, poach or fry them, when she’s not around.

Of course, in her mind, the same goes for pork, beef and chicken (I’m with her on poultry – be careful). Of course, finding the happy medium between the sublime and death is the whole point of cooking.

If the eggs are raw and uncracked, they will keep for at least 4 or 5 weeks in the refrigerator, probably a lot longer. They might dry out somewhat, but they’re still okay to eat. (There are many countries where they’re not even refrigerated in the stores.) If they look and smell okay, then they are okay. I’ve found eggs that were 3 months old that were fine.

…I like that!

I’ll keep that advice in mind thank you! Seeing as they are just across the channel it is hard to avoid it completely.

I went to South Korea a few months ago and they eat an alarming amount of egg over there. If you dislike anything eggy don’t visit South Korea! Imagine a mixture of raw whole garlic, chopped boiled egg, pickled onion and pickled radish in the spiciest tomato sauce you can possibly imagine.

I won’t say anymore!

Please, I would like to know more of this ‘scalloped corn’ you speak of?

Scalloped corn is an old time/classic holiday dish that our family usually has on Thanksgiving and Christmas, my Dad used to make it and I kind of modeled mine after his. It’s pretty typically midwest and usually shows up with ambrosia, yams, jello molds, and green bean casserole.

Here’s the way I made it with a bit of an update… I used poblano peppers instead of green peppers for the tiniest bit of spice, feel free to omit or use green peppers. I guess it is Xmas themed because of the red and green pepper…

Xmas Scalloped Corn

1 can of cream corn
1 can of whole kernel sweet corn drained
2 eggs
Half of a sleeve of ritz style buttery crackers, crushed
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup onion diced
1/4 cup sweet red bell pepper diced
1/8 cup poblano pepper diced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
covered casserole dish

Beat the eggs in the casserole dish, add the can of cream corn and the sweet corn, nearly all of the crushed crackers (reserve some to sprinkle on top) and the milk. Stir to a combined consistency. Add the butter to a small sautee pan and bring to heat on the stovetop, sautee the onions and peppers on med-low heat until they are soft and translucent. Add the peppers and onions to the corn mixture,as well as the salt and pepper and sugar and stir to mix thoroughly, sprinkle a small amount of the crushed crackers over the top and cover. Bake in a 350F oven for 55 minutes, this is when it will be nice and souffled, however you want the final product deflated with a nice brown crust- remove the lid and let bake and become brown for a final 15 minutes. 70 minutes baking time total.

Hey, Hippos is back! Cool!

There can also be a great variation in quality of eggs themselves. Standard supermarket eggs (in the USA, at least) tend to be bland, but eggs from smaller producers (i.e., the eggs you get at the farmer’s market) are often much better.

What is always vile, however, is runny whites.

Hey Hunter :slight_smile:

Oooo whites…urghhhhhh.

I’ve gotta disagree with this advice. There are few things I like more than a poached egg, but there are few things I dislike more than an egg poached in vinegar water. Blech.

Okay well after all this egg advice I feel I should not give up.

So it is onto stage two of Hippo’s egg adventure:

Egg tasting take two!
I need fellow Egg-Dopers advice. What should I try next? Poached, Boiled, Fried or an omlette?
Urgh…I think I am brave :smiley:

All good choices.
Hard boiled is the easiest and you can make egg salad from them also
cover eggs with cold water in a sauce pan (the amount of eggs is your choice)
bring to a boil and remove from the heat
Let stand for 10 -12 minutes
run under cold water so shells can be removed easily

If you’re not an egg fan, I’d stick with eggs that don’t really taste so eggy, such as custard, eggnog, or a cheese souffle. Or a big German pancake (aka Dutch Baby), almost identical in recipe to a popover, also a great choice. Or French toast. Then work your way up to naked eggs. How do you feel about deviled eggs? Or egg salad sandwiches?

Well I know I like custard and cheese souffle. I haven’t ever heard of deviled eggs and I’m not sure what eggnog is?!

I want to go for the hard-core side of things. Pure egg. Egg sandwiches scare me. I’m thinking of taking CWN’s advice, but having a boiled egg with soldiers. I really like the idea of trying that because I feel as though I have missed out on a part of my childhood not having egg and soldiers with ketchup!

Yes, I agree. My MIL has chickens and we regularly get fresh eggs during their laying season. They are so much better than store-bought! I eat far fewer eggs when the hens start into their off-laying season, because the store-bought are so flavorless by comparison.

And I also agree about runny egg whites. Love the yolks still loose, but slightly thickened, but NO egg white boogers, please!! :slight_smile:

I was thinking this thread was about E. Gary Gygax.

There was a time I didn’t like scambled egss but now they are my favorite (esp with ham).

I usually make a egg-potato dish on the weekends:
Slice up sausage links - cook
Remove sausage and add hash browns “southern style”
Afer the spuds are done add eggs and sausage and cheese on top and cook some more

Brian

The only way to make scrambled eggs

You can replace the prosciutto with smoked salmon. Also, I prefer not whisking in the 1 tablespoon of butter, but instead adding the cold butter in small pieces one by one during the cook. Helps keep the eggs from cooking too fast. In the end, this dish looks like a ruined hollandaise and tastes like heaven on a plate.

Once you have mastered basic scrambled eggs, expand that to French toast (bread cut up, soaked in the eggs, and fried) and matzah brei (unleavened bread broken up, soaked in the eggs, and fried). I find apple-cinnamon matzah makes a delicious brei, other than I can’t get this variety during Passover.

So one of those Egg Council creeps got to you too, huh?