I Pit ILMVI for Complaining Incessantly About Acronyms

ILMVI, please, for the love of DOYC, stop derailing threads to gripe about acronyms (or, for that matter, legalese you don’t understand).

I have gotten so sick of you disrupting threads over your pet peeve that I have had you on ignore for months now (honest: that’s the only reason, I can’t stand your moaning about acronyms).

But apparently even that’s not enough. Because every time you drop a squat in a thread over someone’s use of an acronym (and so frequently in situations where its meaning is either irrelevant, easily deduced from context, or simply googled), you invariably provoke others to join in, either rightly chastising you for the disruption and your general obtuseness (even as they perpetuate it), or wrongly defending your right to drop steaming piles over acronyms as you please because they, too, feel the acronym was unclear (but would have just let it slip without disrupting the thread BUT FOR YOU).

Don’t know what something means? GOOGLE IT!!! Or, hell, JUST ASK, but do it without, you know, BEING A SELF-RIGHTEOUS PRICK ABOUT IT.

To sum it up, @I_Love_Me_Vol.I, enough already with your sanctimonious, acrimonious, acronym crusade!

What does ILMVI mean?

Sorry, can’t agree. There is a standard for intelligent discourse, and yours isn’t it.

Gotta defend I_Love_Me_Vol.I here. I checked those three acronyms you linked, and two of them were unintelligible and really annoying. You complain about dropping a turd in the conversation. What do you think an unintelligible acronym is?

The board officially discourages foreign language use. Acronyms are basically the same thing. Something that a couple people know, and the rest of us just stop and get annoyed at not being able to read the post.

And I_Love_Me_Vol.I asked nicely enough.

okay, he was kind of a jerk in how he asked about that legal term. But he was right to ask, he just should have done it matter-of-factly, and not lectured the poster.

Looks to me like, in all three of those, @I_Love_Me_Vol.I was right.

Pitting fail.

I’m getting tired of ASL_v2.0’s incessant complaining about ILMVI’s complaining incessantly about acronyms.

Jumping on the agreeing with I_Love_Me_Vol.I train. I often don’t know what those acronyms mean, so I’m glad someone is asking and reminding people not to do it.

But also, this is a cheap shot. If the OP (ASL_v2.0) has the Pittee on ignore, this is not about being bothered. It’s about trying to get a pile-on going. I hope it turns out to be a bigger fail than it already is.

Oh, yeah, you’re right. This is waaaaaay more intelligent:

Because it’s apparently too fucking hard to either Google BVR or just not care what it means.

Piss off.

And you’re a piece of shit. So I don’t really care.

Edit: (Okay, I might be over the line there. Maybe)

Just googled BVR. It means Business Valuation Resources or beyond-visual-range-missile or Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation.

Actually, looking at the thread. It was none of those. And he got mod noted for it too.

Hmm. Oh wait. This wasn’t the Pit thread I was expecting.

Edit: Slick edit there. Glad I didn’t quote your first attempt.

Given the responses that others have posted, you can probably guess by now. My first thought was that it was a Roman numeral. It makes no sense as a Roman numeral, but if it is a Roman numeral, then the best I can make of it is “957.”

I never google 3 letter acronyms. They pretty much all will pull up a gazillion options, and often the one that was meant isn’t any of those. It’s WAY more efficient to ask the person who wrote it, who ACTUALLY KNOWS WHAT THE FUCK HE MEANT.

Anyway, THANKS, @I_Love_Me_Vol.I . I hadn’t noticed, but apparently you are doing God’s work here on the SDMB by asking people what their acronyms mean.

What does… SDMB mean?

No, you.

:heart_eyes:

It means Straight Dope Message Board. This thing we are both posting on. Thanks for asking. I’m glad you have seen the light.

Spelling out acronyms that people might not know has always been a norm on this board. Yeah, maybe @I_Love_Me_Vol.I can get a bit rude about it, but the general idea of asking people to explain ones they don’t know isn’t a bad idea.

I actually do often look up TLAs and it can be a pain to find them. It usually takes finding a site that lists a bunch of acronyms and then going down through to find out which one is better.

That said, I find @puzzlegal’s praise to be overkill, as you did have a legitimate gripe that he can be annoying. That said, she’s lately been coming off as quite passive aggressive to me.

(I wasn’t entirely sure, but that last comment cemented it for me.)

I just want to take a moment, completely sincere, to apologize to @tripolar. My initial response upthread (edited down within a couple minutes, after some thought/investigation) was… worse. And it was one of those things where, once made, I didn’t feel it would be appropriate to completely “gaslight” anyone who saw it, so I made only a minor redaction, vice a full redaction. To be clear, I don’t even think @tripolar is a normal piece of shit, much less what I originally wrote (prompted by me recalling a comment in another thread out of context).

ETA: But I stand by this pitting. Fully.

I often appreciate someone asking, if I don’t know the acronym or abbreviation. And I even appreciate a polite, “hey, please spell it out the first time,” as well.

I don’t appreciate it turning into a hobby horse mini hijack about what terrible form it is. And I don’t think it should apply to technical jargon/terms of art in a field at all. If you don’t understand one of those, I think you can politely ask, or look it up. This should be a place where using the exact right word for something should be the norm.