I pit paint cans!

My rage burns with the fire of a thousand nuns!

Take a look in any store today and notice all the improvements in the packaging of the products that make our lives worth living.

Every product - that is - except… paint.

We’re still using the same paint can design that our great-great grandfathers used as they sailed into Ellis Island. Now, if the paint can design were perfection itself, I could see no need in doing anything about it, but it’s a mess and always has been. Even for a brand new can of paint (and I’m talking about the gallon sizes not the big stuff) it’s hard to open the damn things, and you really need a specialized tool in your tool box that does nothing but open paint cans. Yea, yea, I know - screwdrivers will work in a pinch, but that’s not a very elegant solution, is it?

Then the first time you pour any paint out into your paint tray, the problems multiply by several hundred thousand times. The lip in the top of the can catches and holds - what? - a tablespoon of paint, which then splatters all over the place when you hammer the top back on and then glues the top in place the next time you need it.

A few years ago Dutch Boy came out with their “Twist and Pour” cans, and I could sleep at night, but they never seemed to catch on.

This is unacceptable! This is America!

Here’s what I think we should do. Let’s all boycott by not buying paint on Sundays. That’ll show 'em.

Who’s with me? C’mon!

I agree. Paint can design is some kind of evil cosmic joke… however…

Use a rag to wipe the rim of the can to remove the excess paint. Press the lid down on the can and secure it by pressing firmly with your thumbs around the edge until the lid sinks to it’s seated/sealed position. Do not hammer it down as it distorts the edge and ruins the seal. If you must hammer, use a rubber mallet.

Actually, you can clean the rim with dry brush very effectively. You probably even have one around. QuickSiver is exactly right about the rubber mallet, though.

And I always use a screwdriver to open them, nerver seemed to matter.

Yeah, they are a pain in the ass, aren’t they?

The “twist and pour” things must be only in the U.S.; at least, I’ve never seen them. Seems like a good idea…

I wrap a part of the lip with heavy-duty tin foil. It acts as a spout, and keeps the mess down. It does nothing, however, about the little bit of paint left in the can.

Please note that’s the ONLY thing that’s neat about me and paint. Mrs. Magill thinks I’m joking about me and paint, but she’ll learn as we paint the new house. She’ll learn that the two-year-old would be better able to wield a brush than I.

Next time you buy paint, look for a bucket or box full of small strips of green plastic. They a snap on pour spouts for paint cans. Put on on, and realize how much easier it is to pour paint out of them. Much less paint in the rim, almost no poaint running down the side.

I used them all over my new condo and they are nice for pouring, but paint tends to sit in the ‘n’ pour part and then you get snot strings in your paint. They also can get stuck closed with dried paint. But, they are better than the metal cans. Beware, though…you aren’t getting a gallon, you are getting 3.something quarts. The label tells you that, but nobody pays attention to the label.

Since this thread is one step above watching paint dry, I’m thinking it doesn’t belong in the Pit. (Sorry, Skip and Cajun Man…)

Take a nail and a hammer. Punch holes in the groove of the top, and the paint will (theoretically, at least) drain back into the can. It’s been about 20 years since I’ve done this, but it should still work.

I mentioned this recently in another thread, but recently we used some brand of paint that came in a gallon-sized wide-mouth plastic jug with a screw-on lid and a built-in pour spout. It was wonderful.

It was like when those ghastly cardboard cans for motor oil were replaced by the plastic bottles: My only thought was “What took 'em so damned long?”

This is true, but only until the pigment is added to the can. Different bases, a, b, white/ pastel, deeptone etc. are all carefully measured to allow for the amount of pigment required to make those gawd awful colors you just picked out for your living room.

SP, from the paint desk.

The problem with doing that is the lip then rusts and rust falls into the paint. I found a $.50 pouring lip that was a great help, just be sure to buy one for each color so you aren’t washing it all the time. It looks like the bill of a ball cap with an edge that snaps onto the lip of the can.

If anyone needs one more thing to fume about, many if not all, by now, of the One Gallon paint cans now hold only 3.75 quarts (or less). WTF!? Nothing else changed, even though I first noticed it on the “twist and pour” type, the practice is now wide spread. The same can size, just less paint.

Every one-gallon can of pre-mixed paint I’ve seen recently contains one gallon. It’s the tint base that’s “short-filled” to leave room for the pigment.

Until the pigment is added, it’s not really paint - more of a translucent white glaze - and if they don’t leave room for the pigment, the result is a mess at the mixing station. About two months ago, I saw a vivid demonstration of this when someone punched in the code to dispense pigments for a very intense red into a gallon of white paint. Red was running down the sides of the can and all over the place.

Sorry, but I bought 3.75 quarts of bright white, it said, “not intended as base” on the can.

Hmmm… Where was that so the rest of us will know not to shop there?

Dutch Boy doesn’t sell Gallons. They sell 3.something quarts no matter if it is paint or base (which is really the same thing). They also sell 0.9something quarts. If they intended you to get a gallon after tint, we’d all have to be painting black, tinted from white.

Ah, but I beg to differ. The paint can openers which I have are also bottle openers such that I wonder about the developer-was he a painter who liked to drink, or a drinker who occasionally painted? :stuck_out_tongue:

Having nearly ripped off a knuckle while attempting to open a can of paint yesterday I completely agree with the OP.

Dutch Boy feels your pain.