I pit people who ask me how much money I make

Would you be willing to say what percentage of your income comes from tips?

It’s meant to be said ironically with icy disdain, so not to friends.

I know, I know. :slight_smile:

It’s just that I’m a big fan of “Shrek” and I couldn’t refrain myself.

I for one use kayT’s approach:

It’s not enough. We need to bring back Miss Manners’ tactics.

Looked absolutely gobsmacked with your mouth working a bit (this will take practice to get it right) then finally ask, “Whatever made you ask such a question?” Then wait for the reply.

What’s funny is that we know how much you make, at least in tips. The tipping takes place out in the open, so we can clearly count.

Except that I never bothered to count, there are more entertaining things to do at the poker table, like shuffling chips.

People are sitting there, probably losing money, and having a few drinks. They see you getting $5, $10, and even $25 tips from their fellow drunk players, and start to wonder, “gee, how much does this guy make off poor slobs like me?”

Still very rude, but I get it.

It seems to be very verboten in U.S.A. to ask someone how much they earn. (A possible exception would be jobs where the wage would be rather constant, at least within an area. This might apply to OP’s job — at least the salary portion, not the tips. If someone is thinking of applying for the job, asking about the wage is logical.)

Some cultures don’t have this taboo. Openness about wages in Thailand is quite common. I remember going to the teacher’s break room at a public school here and seeing all the salaries posted on the wall!

At my workplace we’re explicitly instructed not to reveal what we make to our coworkers, and it’s pretty clear that the rule exists to avoid people getting disgruntled that they’re not being paid as much as the next guy. (I doubt any two of my coworkers draw the same salary.) And yes, I’m aware that the rule is probably unenforcable-if-not-illegal.

Compared to that, I make much. Compared to some, not so much.

You have to tell those people off and not just relate the experience on media.

“Didn’t your mother ever tell you…”

I like your thinking.:smiley:

It varies, most of what I make is tips…and this is a VERY nice place, so the customers have class.:rolleyes: (and tip well, hint HINT:pGUILT/SHAME):eek::D:D

Yes, that is illegal in the US at the federal level. The National Labor Relations Act states that employers can’t ban the discussion of salary and working conditions among employees. They can prevent you from discussing those things with the general public however.

Most of us would be better off if our wage information were public record.

Who wants to go first?