I pit the following "cutesy" holiday nicknames

Every year around we have to listen to TV commentators, DJs, and stupid people in general who think they’re being clever or witty by referring to holidays by the same insipid nicknames people have been using for decades. It’s time for us to stop using terms like;

Turkey Day. This is the kind of name for a holiday that a five year old would come up with. It sounds like you forgot what Thanksgiving was called or you were trying to explain it to space aliens. Cut it out.

Black Friday. When I was a kid all we ever called it was “the day after Thanksgiving”. How the ad industry conned everyone into calling it this I’ll never know. Frankly, a name like that makes me think I’ll catch some kind of pestilence if I go shopping.

Cyber Monday. I refuse to believe that this is a thing. And that it doesn’t involve masturbating on Skype.

Fat Tuesday. Yes, we KNOW that’s what “Mardi Gras” means in English. It doesn’t make you smart to point it out and it’s not any more clever than saying you’re celebrating Fifth of May, or Hallowed Eve, or Fifty-Days.

The unofficial beginning/end of summer. You’re off by about a month in either direction.

Spring Forward/Fall Back. It’s been about 70 years since people had to have it explained to them how DST works. Let’s stop pretending that something we’ve been doing twice a year our entire lives, and which in this day of auto-synching clocks, watches, computers and phoned requires NO EFFORT WHATSOEVER for most people, is some novel event involving arcane sorcery.

Patriot’s Day. I’m thankful that this one hasn’t caught on, but I suspect that’s only because Madison Avenue hasn’t figured out a way to entice the public down to their big 9/11 sale at Macy’s.

Thoughts/additions?

Black Friday is an apt name if you’ve ever worked retail. It’s like Satan decided to pick one day of the year to manifest in the retail world, and this was it.

Technically, this 9/11 “holiday” is called “Patriot Day” as per Public Law 107-89. Not to be confused with the real “Patriot’s/Patriots’ Day”, observed in April as a state holiday in Massachusetts (in which it coincides with the Boston Marathon) and Maine.

I agree that “Patriot Day” is a stupid name for 9/11, and considering that it’s been officially designated that way since 2002 but most people still never call it that, it seems that the vast majority of Americans concur.

Incidentally, when did people stop using cyber to mean online sex?

I’ve never heard it called Fat Tuesday in English here. The more common names are Pancake Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday.

That doesn’t get used here because we use Autumn rather then Fall, but I don’t have a problem with a pithy phrase to help people remember which way the clocks should go. In my experience many people have trouble remembering this, even though it’s been happening twice a year for many years.

I really don’t get this at all. Spring Forward/Fall Back isn’t a holiday or even two. It’s a mnemonic device. What’s wrong with summarizing it thus? And not everyone changes their clocks. And not everyone does it on the same day. The phrase is quite handy to me for figuring out what time it’s going to be somewhere else.

The day has gone by this name in English for centuries.

Cut it out? :frowning: :confused:

I just sent out several emails to my brother and some friends with “Happy Turkey Day!” as the subject. As a five year old at heart, my response to you is, “You’re not the boss of me!”:smiley:

Meh, none of those get my undies in a wad, not worth the effort. The shorthand “Xmuh” for Christmas makes me twitch a bit though, as does the playing of Christmas music etc before Turkey…uh, Thanksgiving Day. Also not fond of the “happy holidays” thing - it just sounds so forced, somehow.

Or here in Chicago, some of us call it Pączki Day! (Now pardon me while I go drool quietly.)

Jeez, do you get this snarky at people who have to go “thirty days hath September…”?

And don’t even get me started on “righty tighty, lefty loosey!”

I gather “Bunny Day” is right out, then?

I guess I thought that we were attacked on Patriot’s day because of its name.

Speaking of which, is it too early to pit Black Friday shoppers for acting like a bunch of animals, or should we wait until the inevitable frenzied stampede?

No it’s not too early. Let’s go ahead and pit them now, seeing as though some of them will be rampaging like bonobos in 24h15m in the west coast… Sheesh. Midnight madness? Seriously? Shall we start a thing? Like Black Friday Midnight Madness…

It’s not too early to pit the shoppers AND the retailers for this madness. I especially pit the retailers, though, especially the ones who are open on Thanksgiving.

I’ve done all my Xmas shopping, and my freezer and pantry are full. This year, again, I won’t be shopping for ANYTHING except perishable staples like milk and eggs. I will be staying out of just about every store. I will especially avoid shopping today and tomorrow and throughout the weekend.

Well, I guess I’m not “most people”. My watch as well as the clocks in my microwave, oven and bedroom need to be manually set (my oven clock is even analog! OMG!), and as as been said already, “spring forward, fall back” is a useful mnemonic.

Can I +1 this w/o being Pitted by someone?

I should Pit the OP for using the word “cutesy” in a subject line. It just a cuter way of saying cute.

The “official” beginnings have no bearing on the seasons as we experience them (weather, school, etc.), and there’s a fair question in why the astronomical demarcations became the “real” seasons instead of a special use of the terms. The answer is that calendars just started putting “first day of winter” on there and people believed it, and it is now so ingrained that people will raise their voices about it. Outside of the U.S. few nations bother with the technical/specialized seasons, though – most of the world goes with the meteorological seasons, as the U.S. used to. There is no necessity to call the solstices and equinoxes the “real” first days of the seasons.

Spring Forward/Fall Back – I heard several people complaining about Daylight Saving Time a few weeks ago – “Stupid DST! Now it’s dark!” etc. They seemed not to know that it had just ENDED. Moreover, I even saw people complaining about the lost hour. Apparently they didn’t even know the effect of turning their clocks back an hour was to GIVE them an hour. People can be astonishingly stupid and I guess they do need that mnemonic if they can’t even sort out when DST is or think that they lose an hour when they turn their clocks back.