I Pit the new "frost brewed Coors Light" temperature indicator

“It’s like the word lifestyle, two words pushed together which pretty much guarantee that the speaker possesses neither” – Joan Didion, way back in the early 80s.

I’m sure those are fine beers. I’m also sure that they’re sold in cans because for some reason, the American public prefers in that way.

To me, beer cans always seem kind of low rent. But then, I’d rather drink Coke from a glass bottle, too.

I sprayed malt liquor all over my keyboard. This would make a great ad campaign.

I enjoy Dale’s Pale Ale, but due to years of conditioning I find myself saying “Why the hell am I paying $9+ for a six-pack of beer in a can?”

I hate beer, and Coors Light and Coors Original are about the only I can stomach. So yup, you just about have it right. If a beer has much of any flavor at all, it makes me want to gag.

Before you call me a pussy though, I’ll drink vodka straight any day.

So drink vodka, you pussy.

sigh

I barely ever drink actually. I really am a pussy :frowning:

But when I DO drink… it’s hard liquor and lots of it :smiley:

I’m amazed I haven’t seen this yet, but it’s possibly the best response to the Coors coldness indicator bullshit: Breckenridge Brewery vs Coors Light: A New Way To Tell If Your Beer Is Cold (VIDEO) | HuffPost Entertainment

I’ll admit that I drink Coors Light. When the can is warm, both strips are the same color and it is a light blue. When it is refrigerator temperature, both strips are the same color and it is a slightly darker blue, but definitely not deep blue. When it has been in the freezer for a while, both strips are the same color, and it is slightly darker than the warm can and I’m not sure that it is different from the refrigerator blue color. Sadly my workplace got rid of our Hunter colorimeter, or I could have checked more scientifically.

Summary: both strips are always the same color. The color difference between warm and freezing is very small.

The coldness indicator is good if the beers are in ice water. With the indicator, you don’t have to reach into the freezing cold water just to check if its cold yet. The “cold” vs. “super cold” bars also help in this case, since some people are so desperate to drink, they would accept a slightly cold beer.

Of course, in Europe you’d need “warm” and “super warm” bars instead. :smiley:

I can confirm these findings, as I am running a controlled test for the next few hours.

Depending upon where you grasp the can, the ‘Cold’ indicator can even show a darker blue than the ‘Super Cold’ indicator.

Then, once the level of beer in the can drops below the ‘Cold’ indicator it fades and the ‘Super Cold’ indicator is the more promenant blue.

I believe I’m going to need to apply for some grant money to study this in further depth.

I love Dale’s. Love.

And the “urine content” indicator is always solid yellow.

Fuck Dale’s. Cheap ass company, they offered some beer for a mountain bike race and gave a case of half full cans as a race prize. No shit, the cans were half full of flat beer. Lucky for us we had a fifth of Basil Hayden to save the day.

Now here is a good beer in a can.

That’s because our beers are worth tasting, so a frozen tongue isn’t a pre-requisite for enjoyment :stuck_out_tongue:

In Russia, cans take YOUR temperature!

That was the first place prize. Second place got the full cans.

:smiley:

I’ve actually done surveys from major American breweries where they bring out all sort of strange packaging ideas and gimmicks. You have to rate them on a 1-10 scale by being asked quite a few questions. At the end, you get to rank the crazy ideas by how much you prefer them.

Wouldn’t shock me to learn that this is how Coors came up with this idea.

That’s the whole point of this “ice cold” marketing. The colder the drink, the less you can actually taste it.

Try getting two bottles of a good beer with lots of flavor and aroma. Chill one of them to 32F and the other one to 52F. Pop them both open. Smell. Taste. You’ll notice that the very cold one has significantly less aroma and significantly less flavor.