I pit the Olympics. This is the final straw.

$474 came from…?

If you actually read what I wrote, the problem with the ticket prices was not the original face price- the lower price tickets were actually quite reasonably priced, as face value- it’s the fact that you can’t actually get said tickets, as they sold large quantities of them to travel agencies, rather than actually making them available to the public. Said agencies are unsurprisingly reselling at stupidly higher prices, albiet with a laughably overpriced room included in the rate. A rate that’s substantially more than $474. More along the $1500- $2000 mark for most of the finals, though that does include a room that would normally be $200, and a $15 travelcard, so there is that.

I also happen think the projected £11 billion cost to the UK taxpayers is sufficiently high that I don’t really feel like worrying how they’re going to recoup the rest of their costs. There’s a reason it’s not in the same place every time- no country is quite that rich or insane.

Oh, and I don’t know why everyone’s assuming I live in London. I don’t; the burning stick parade is, however, passing through the city where I do live in the next week, at rush hour, on a route that could have been designed to cause maximum traffic fuck-up with minimum interest.

Ditto - though I’m not sure when my part of Britain is getting the burning stick. My disinterest is massive and I am retired, so I can stay indoors while the rest of the local yokels are gawping.

Just do what everyone else does and put your apartment on airbnb and use the extra funds to take a vacation somewhere. Everyone wins.

(Bolding mine)

Hey, I resemble that description!!! :smiley:

Q

Also, why the hell can’t the Olympics be held in the country where they originated? If anyone could use the revenue, Greece could. What would it take?

Thanks

Q

Greece had the Games two Olympics ago, in 2004. It’s also worth noting that not all cities derive a great amount of economic benefit from the Olympics. The analysis, by a group of different authors, on this page presents a rather uneven picture.

Some quotes:

After you coated them in the flour of Scotland, no doubt! :wink:

So, you have no idea when the Olympic torch is near you, and yet you are still outraged at the disruption it will (may?) cause? In fact, as you are retired, exactly what inconvenience will you be put through?

Thanks for all the cites, mhendo!

Okay, one more comment and I’ll leave it y’all’s capable hands.

Maybe it’s time to “re-invent” the Olympics? Subsidize Greece with some funds, let them put people to work improving what they have and mount a massive ad campaign along the lines of “Greece! now the permanent home of the Olympics!”, or some such drivel.

Solving 2 problems at the same time? Their sucky economy and relieving other countries from the burden and cost of hosting them?

As you can tell, I’m not really good at logistics. That’s why I’m friends with YOU guys!:smiley:

Quasi

Yes, that’s how it was meant, I making was a Bilbo reference.

Personally, i’d be quite happy to have Greece as the permanent home of the (Summer) Olympics. From an economic point of view, it would alleviate the concerns that attend many Olympics, where a whole bunch of money is spent to build stuff that barely gets used once the Games are over. I don’t know enough, though, to reach a conclusion about whether a permanent host would, in fact, see a significant long-term economic benefit.

But you’re going to run into problems that relate to your second point:

Thing is, while the governments of the host cities and countries might often lose money on the Olympics, plenty of people, and especially corporations, within those countries can make a killing. Construction firms and other contractors who work on Olympics-related stuff can do very well. Same with media companies and others associated with the logistics and the broadcasting.

Actually, the Olympics is one of those events beloved by good corporate capitalists: a huge spectacle that often funnels public money into private coffers.

Also, even leaving aside the economic issue, there’s the fun and prestige factor of hosting an Olympic Games, and plenty of cities want to be in on that. As i said, i’d be quite happy for Athens to have it every four years, but most people probably wouldn’t.

Recent reports suggest that it’s not going to be too crowded at Hampden. Assuming 90% remains unsold, you could move the fitba to Starks Park and still have breathing space.

I’m not looking forward to the games-the US TV coverage is really crappy (2 minutes of competition with 10 minutes of “human interest” stories).
Plus, they usually drag out the 1976 US Hockey Team-for some unknown reason.
Who’s favored to win the “Ribbon Dancing” event-does anybody REALLY watch that?
Agree-women’s beach volleyball is pretty good;)

They invented this neat thing called a “paragraph”. You should look into it. It’d change your life.

It’s the 1980 team.

But you’ve spent years here without letting the facts get in the way of your asinine drivel; why change now, right?

:smack: My problem is that I rarely even look at usernames. That’s a pathetic thing to admit, but it’s true more often than not. It’s never personal, it’s just the way I skim down the page. My deepest apologies Alka Seltzer, Bilbo1967 and everyone else.

Edit to add, it was a good joke too Alka Seltzer!

£300 British pounds = $474 American dollars at the time of that post.

No problem Equipoise.

And it always turns out the guy is a professional athlete who trains 14-15 hours a day. Not exactly what you’d call interesting. And why should he be? Athletes aren’t interesting people, generally.

News just in from the BBC. Olympic relay torches are being sold on ebay.
Nice little earner. wish I’d signed up - seems like easy money for running 300 metres.