I really don't want to die here.

I was where you are now four years ago. I applied at retail stores for temporary part-time holiday jobs. I am now a full-time permanent cashier.

Stores hire people over the holidays and, if they work out, keep them. It’s worth a shot.

Simply splashing cold water into your eyes for a few minutes several times a day can help with many eye conditions, especially itching, burning, and dryness. It may give some relief, and it can’t do any harm.

Yup, there were actually two that I recall. I remember alt.fan.cecil.adams and I think there was also a misc.facts.straight-dope group as well in the pre-AOL days.

If you are able to drive and clean house you may be able to find a live-in work arrangement with some of the local elderly folks. Look in Craig’s List under “Elder Care.” Some will require lifting, but many just need someone who can make a meal and do the laundry without burning the house down, and drive them to appointments.

I don’t know what the Uber/Lyft status in your area is, but if you can clean the back seat of your car, and get your license/insurance in order, they are really helpful in getting you started.

If you like dogs there is also “Wag!” which is like Uber for dog walking. You give your info and they certify you, and then folks can contact you through the app when they need a walker. There is some GPS addition so they can actually see where their dog is taken.

Help to find medical care: http://ohiofreeclinics.org/who-we-are/locations/find-a-clinic.html

I hope some of this is helpful! Please don’t give up. Above all get to a medical clinic and tell the nurse/doctor exactly how you are feeling. Print this out for them if you can, or write it all down and hand it to them so they can’t interrupt you.

Once you are feeling healthy again, all these other problems will look more manageable.

Jeez, it’s like a capitalist apocalypse.

LongTimeLurker, I have no advice other than to say I have found through life that the more you withdrawal the less capacity there is for things to swing around.

And they do, in the most unexpected, remarkable ways, often for no apparent or logical reason. But you do need to continue to interact with the world. Very best to you.

I’ve heard lots of homeless people try to make it to Hawaii, nice and warm I imagine

Some apartment complexes hire managers, housekeeping, and maintainace workers. The salary is a an apartment with utilities. My old uncle did this for years. He died at ninety and was taking care of maintainace for a complex of 48 apartments. So it is not hard work. The groundskeeper job would be harder, I assume. Go to every complex in your area and ask. There is a big turnover in this work, I hear. Good luck!

GenTeal makes ointment meant for you to sleep with. It’s better to gently press a warm wet paper towel to your eyes than to rub them. The more you rub, the more risk you take of scratching/scarring your corneas and then you really can’t see. Sounds like drops aren’t doing it for you any more and at least look at the GenTeal line of ointments, there’s severe for overnight, but also mild to moderate for daytime use.

And then what everyone else said. Reach out for help, there are people who want to help you. And seasonal work is definitely upon us, groceries like Trader Joe’s are decent employers.

One of the guys over on another message board I read regularly [this would have been about 5 years ago] had gotten tired of barely making ends meet working at a mattress store [of all places] and bought a full sized Dodge Ram Van [you know, those big white vans that businesses always used to have before sprinters and transits became so popular] and converted it for living in. He set up several deep cycle batteries to function as the power for everything but the engine, and ran the 12 volt high efficiency lights and a laptop. He had a gym membership, so he got his daily exercise and shower done there, and did laundry in a laundromat. The small amount of driving he did kept the batteries powered and he parked at the edge of an industrial area for the night so he sort of blended in. If you had even a momvan you could perhaps manage this [I have done winter road trips in my mom van, and was pretty comfortable on my cot with one of those camp eggcrate mattresses and the heavy sleeping bag supplimented with pne of mrAru’s [woobies](http://taskandpurpose.com/why-the-woobie-is-the-greatest-military-invention-ever-fielded/). ]

Though if a move to a warmer state is in order, maybe inland Texas? I know people always suggest Florida or Arizona, but it gets pretty damned hot there, hot enough to kill without air conditioning sometimes.

The burning eye thing, while seeming trivial compared to your other problems, is no joke (not that anyone is treating it as one).

It happens to me too, so bad at times that I have to pull over while driving until it passes.

I know money is tight, but bypass the Visine and other cheaper offerings on the shelf; spring for Artificial Tears. This is my opthomologist’s recommendation.

Best of luck to you.
mmm

2009 Mazda Tribute. It probably isn’t worth a whole lot, and it needs new tires.

I am afraid I don’t have any family left. The ‘free’ clinic I was sent to for my eyes actually cost 60 dollars a vist for someone with no income. I’ll Google Goodwill to see if have anything in Columbus.

Thank you for your kind words. The last eye doctor I went to didn’t prescribe me the good stuff because I couldn’t afford to pay for it, I was paying cash. The scripts she did give me were reasonably priced, but they really didn’t seem to fix my eyes for any length of time. I will Google Dry Eyes to see what I can find. I have been taking fish oil, that is supposed to help, but I am not ‘seeing’ much improvement there eitherl.

Thank you for your help. My eye doctor also recommended a warm/hot compress on the eyes to help break up the dried oil build-up.

I do have a Trac Phone that I bought years ago. I have time and days on it, but I am not sure how I would be able to keep it charged. I have a car charger, but I don’t know how long I will be able to keep putting gas into it. Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.

Thank you for the link. I bookmarked it so I can look at it later today.

Thank you Chefguy for the advice. I will have to think about that. I really don’t like seeing gofundme’s being set up for weddings, vacations, etc… I don’t think my needs are much more deserving than some of those types of requests.

You are quite right. I am bi-polar and have suffered from depression for decades. I did call the suicide hotline and I did get some help from them. Your observation and advice is spot on.

Thank you Sunny, for all of your help. I have a lawyer, I am going through a place called Disability Justice. They are supposedly working on my appeal.

To tell the truth, I am not sure what kind of job I could find that doesn’t require me to stand/walk for extended amounts of time. Oregon sounds nice, but I am really am at a loss as to what I am physically able to do for work anymore. Thank you again for all the well thought-out advice you shared.

I am sorry Sage Rat. My memory is not the best anymore either. It may have been the nineties or even oughts when I first stumbled across SDMB. My dropping in has been sporadic to say the least.