I think the smiley face box is after me!! Help!!

In the ATMB, I posted ‘Just smileyin’ around’ and was practicing smiley faces (Sorry Chief!!). I finally got the hang of it with some help, and asked about the laughing smilie face.

Esprix was kind enough to tell me how, and Yue Han said that it was ‘stealing bandwidth’. I had posted that I didn’t understand that, since it tells you at the site HOW to do the smiley face, why would they do that, if it were stealing.

Well, when I came online today (Friday, 3-31) to see if there were any posts on that thread a little gray box came up ‘Beginbids’ sign in with my name and password. THAT is where the laughing smiley face is from!!

Are they after me??? I kept hitting it to go away, but it kept coming back, and I finally got off the computer 'cause it was freaking me out! I called my son at college and he just thought it was funny!

Help!! Do I hit on the box, or not?? I promise to ChiefScott, I’ll ** never** make the laughing smiley face again!!

Judy

“Um, according to who? Nothing more than a high brow troll, though occasionally the bi polar personality swung in a constructive direction on innocuous topics.” Omniscient

You mean this thread?

Nothing strange happened to me there, but I did learn how to make one of these guys: (beginbids smilie deleted in hopes of discovering the problem)
[Note: This message has been edited by manhattan]

That * is* the thread. But, no little gray box came up on you?? Is the little hoppy guy from ‘Beginbids’?? Which is where the image of the laughing smiley lives.

My son told me to ‘just click on the box and see what happens, Mom’ but maybe he’d think it was funny if I was in jail too, a parent can never be too sure of these things!

Judy

I originally posted this question in GQ because I was afraid that it wouldn’t get noticed in About the Message Board.

Then the box stopped appearing, and now it is back. It asks for my ‘user’ name and my ‘password’ and whether it should remember both. It * does * go away when I hit cancel, but even as I was typing this, it appeared again.

JimB replies to this if it were put on my ‘webspace’ this wouldn’t have happened, but I don’t know if I even have any webspace?? I have an e mail address, and I’m here at SDMB, but nothing else.

I have a feeling they aren’t talking about ‘Judy Wright’ as the e mail address, or my password there, or Anti Pro, and the password here, but * I’m also sure, I don’t know what they are talking about either!*

There isn’t anything on the box that helps me to get to this site and discuss it with who the powers-that-be there, so I don’t know how to get it to stop.

Any help??
Judy

“Um, according to who? Nothing more than a high brow troll, though occasionally the bi polar personality swung in a constructive direction on innocuous topics.” Omniscient

It showed up when I clicked this thread, too.
I’ve never even been on that site! :eek:

You should tell the truth, expose the lies and live in the moment."-Bill Hicks
“You should tell the lies, live the truth and expose yourself.” - Bill Clinton

must… resist… smugness…

Well, see, when you borrow things from other sites, sometimes that site changes. And this one did. The code that pointed to smiley must point to a login screen now.

If this was used in your own source code on your own webpage, with permission, (which is why you have an account, to give you permission) it would be a simple matter of updating the code.

But since these suckers are imbedded the cgi generated code, the techies are going to have a fun night of it and the board’ll probably be down a while.

–John

'Twis brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

it attacked me earlier when i opened a thread in mpsims, again when i opened this thread, and just now when i clicked on ‘reply’.
please, make it go away. :frowning:

“Organs gross me out. That’s organs, not orgasms.”
-the wallster

Ursa, you’ve done it again!

But manhattan has fixed it.

Let me know here and by email if the problem recurs in this thread, please.

NYC IRL III
is on April 15th. Do you have what it takes?

I think we now know the source or the problem.

of. Dammit, of the problem

I feel so ashamed…yet, in a way, I feel a sense of acomplishment. This is the closest I’ve ever come to being a hacker.

• Thanks manhattan *.

I’m NOT thrilled with being even ** that close ** to being a hacker.

Yue Han, you sure did try hard to resist smugness! But, even in your explanation, for the computer backward, I didn’t understand what you meant.

If I had a webpage, and had a listing for beginbids.com does that mean, I am NOT stealing??

{{{{{{{{{{{{{lil mega}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
those boxes that can chase you are kinda intimidating aren’t they??

Judy

OK, let me try to explain. Have a seat, this will take a while.

All webpages rely on files to make them up. If you make a web page of your own, almost all of the files will “live” on the server you have used to connect it to the net (most often, the server of your ISP, which is why your web page is likely to be called something like Yourname.yourisp.com).

Here at the SDMB, almost everything is stored on the server owned and maintained by the Chicago Reader. When you load this page, the SDMB looks at the Reader’s hard drive to get the files that contain the formatting of the page, the gray and white lines, the graphics, and even the data that makes up these posts.

But it doesn’t have to work that way. A web page can be told to look anywhere on the internet for the information. So if you use the image tags to include a picture of your cat, what you are really doing is telling the Straight Dope software on the Chicago Reader’s server to go look up the cat picture at "catpic.yourname.yourisp.com) and print it out as an image in the right place of each viewer’s browser. So each browser, in addition to looking at the SDMB, “peeks” at your page to get the cat.

And that’s fine. Because since you own the picture and pay for the yourname.yourisp.com site, you consent to your site being pinged and your image being loaded. You consented to that when you included the image tags on this message board.

But what if you load something else? Say, a picture of a cat from the Cincinnati Zoo? Well, now you are giving the instructions, but the site owner (the zoo) has not given permission. A few sites give “general” permissions – they say on the site that anyone can load images from them as long as credit is given. Other sites will give you permission if you ask them. For example, I’ll bet that most companies would allow you to post an image of their logo as long as you said nice things about it (do NOT try this with Disney). But technically, you are supposed to ask unless they have a general permission posted.

In this case, what happened is that one or more people posted a smilie from another site without asking permission. Other members, thrilled by the new smilie, copied it to other threads. But the smilies are stolen. And remember, they are not really “here” on this message board’s server. All that is “here” is the instruction to go look them up on the other server. Just as you can, anytime you want, replace the picture of the cat on your website, the smilie owners can change the picture on their site. In this case, they changed the picture to include a registration screen. So now, every time our site asks their site to send the image, we get the registration screen.

When ursa talked about being close to a hacker, he wasn’t talking about them. He was talking about us. We’re the hackers, or thieves, or whatever, in this case.

Perhaps this board has grown too big to allow for the continued use of images. I don’t know; that’s not my call. It would be a pity, but not as bad as people seeing Cecil as an abettor to bandwidth theft. Time will tell.

NYC IRL III
is on April 15th. Do you have what it takes?

I think what happened is that beginbids.com noticed all this bandwidth theft and password protected their directory. So they didn’t " In this case, they changed the picture to include a registration screen. "… I’m sure the image is still right where it used to be, and if you had a username and password for beginbids.com you would see it. Password protecting a directory is very easy.

Another method of protecting images that gets the message across but doesn’t actually save you any bandwidth is to use a script to switch the images.
For example, if you try to view my live webcam image by going to the url: http://fathom.org/opalcat/cam/javacam.jpg
you will see the image. If I try to load the image onto this page:

you get something else :slight_smile:

I have over 2000 posts, dammit! Show some respect.
http://fathom.org/opalcat/showmerespect.jpg
O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

oh, something to note. Once the image is in your cache you’ll see the same image both places… so if you go to the link you have to clear your cache first to see the real image.

I have over 2000 posts, dammit! Show some respect.
http://fathom.org/opalcat/showmerespect.jpg
O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com