I want to learn how to drum

Is anyone in here a drummer? Do you have any advice on where I should start?

Background info: I used to play the piano when I was ~5 until ~12 when I quit. Then I played the flute when I was 12 and 13, then gave up on that. It was a while ago. I’m not sure I’d be able to read music right this second, but if I brushed up on it, I’m sure I can pick it up again.

Now, all of a sudden, I want to learn how to drum. I’m not sure exactly WHY I want to learn, just that I want to. So, any advice on how on to start?

I’ve had a drummer tell me I don’t need to run out and buy a set right away. Just get some sticks to play around with, and then when I get more comfortable, that’s when I get a set. Any second opinions? Anyone want to tell me all they know about drumming?

Yeah, I took it up as an adult a number of years ago, deciding I was too old to learn to play a proper instrument.

I never got any good at it, because a/ my hand/foot co-ordination sucks, and b/ I didn’t practise enough. Damn fun though, and I got to play songs I love with a real band.

Having a kit at home is a vast advantage, if not a necessity, so you can get as much practise in as possible. Maybe you can rent one for a few weeks to see if you want to keep it up? I would say you’ll need to practise at least an hour a day for the first few months. You can get practise pads - thick rubber mats - to dull the sound but still give the right amount of stick rebound.

If you know music to some degree already you can probably skip formal lessons, or only have a few to get going. The main deal is to find a good book with exercises to practise.

Once you can get through a song you like, hook up with a band, or put one together. There is no motivation like having to play, even if it’s only in a garage or loungeroom.

Lotsa luck and let us know how you go.

I don’t see what’s wrong with just getting a good practice pad and some good sticks to start with, as well as a method book. If you start out with the bare essentials, you’ll find you’re not out a lot should you decide to quit. Also, in this day and age, you can watch streaming videos of lessons online.

Sticks: Pick them wisely; they are extensions of your hands. A good straight grain is imperative, and sticks should be rolled to check for warpage. Most likely, the salesman will understand. Ignore him if he doesn’t. Try out lots of pairs until you find what’s good for you. I myself use many, many sizes, while others stick to one or two sizes.

Pad: There are many, many pads out there, and a lot of them are gimmicky. I personally feel the best ones (taking volume into account) are the Real Feel double sided models; they’re a bit of money, but they will last for years. If a louder pad is tolerable, the Remo tunable models are best.

Lessons: There is no substitue for a live teacher. That said, Vic Firth, while purveying some good sticks, offers a wealth of cyber lessons. Many other lessons can be obtained with a quick Google.

Agreed that sticks and a practice pad will suffice for a while. I also agree that a real, live teacher is a very valuable resource.

Make sure you learn properly, when learning technique. Buy a primer level book of basic rudiments and a metronome. ALWAYS use the metronome when practicing; timing is literally everything in drumming. Make sure you’re holding the sticks properly and using correct motions as well; these are very hard habits to unlearn if learned incorrectly in the first place. ( This is where a teacher comes in handy. ) If you already have a musical background, you ought to be able to figure out how to read drum tab with little problem.

Remember it’s not as easy as it seems to be. It’s frustrating to learn the coordination. I’ve been playing drums for >25 years and still get really aggravated when attempting new styles or patterns. But also remember it’s a fun instrument and worth the time it took to learn.

(Also, learn to like oodon noodles from Costco if you’re planning of making a career of it.)

You can also get a practice set, with pads mounted like a full drum set would be. My brother used one of those (dad and bro are both drummers). It still makes a bit of noise, but nothing the neighbors would be able to hear. Dad and bro both taught drums. I think a live teacher is always better than just a book.

Have you ever tried the drums? It’s weird, but a friend and I once never touched a set of drums, and within’ like a hour of trying, non-stop, things picked up, really well. Like amazingly well. I can’t explain it. I cannot read music (never really tried), but for some reason, the drums come naturally to me. I’d have to attribute it to air-drumming all these years. Seriously. For a beginner, and after a month of “playing around”, I can do some pretty semi-complicated rythyms, fills and stuff I cannot name, and people are blown away. Try it, before you buy it on somebody elses stuff before you throw away money though. Have fun!