I was at the Chicago Reader building today

And had no idea I was going there when we headed out.

I’m in Chicago for the ALA conference, and after a long day of conference events (on top of a hellish hangover from last night’s social), saying goodbye to my friends who are headed back to their homes this evening, I thought to myself, “Self, Thai food sounds good for dinner tonight”.

So I picked one out of the hotel book and headed to Star of Siam. As I walked in the door, I saw the words “Chicago Reader” on it, but it took me a few minutes to make the connection. Then I realized why it sounded so familiar!

So I had to grin, and wish I’d dragged my friends there earlier in the week, so I could have had my photo taken in front of the Chicago Reader building. Alas, it was not to be.

Is it impressive?

No, not really.

But being as tired as I am, I wasn’t going to be highly impressed if it had been a cathedral-like structure.

Chicago Reader is a very odd name for a Thai restaurant.

It’s a shame you didn’t have the time to book ahead to Aruns Thai.

I used to do coin shows in Chicago from 1975-1990. I had the luck of eating at that place at least once, sometime twice, per year. From what I understand, you have to book in advance now.

We used to call them on Sat. afternoon, and say that we had a party of 20 coin dealers coming, and they said…“no problem.”

I’ve eaten in perhaps 20 Thai restaurants in the US, in varied locations, and this is the best.

I know this has nothing to do with “The Reader.” But it might be something that a Pilgrim, going to Chicago in the Future, who is seeking out the source of all the wisdom of this Board and loves Thai food, may say…“Thank you, samclem.” Or not. :cool:

And, as luck would have it, I can link to a review of the restaurant from…er, uh,The Chicago Reader.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/cgi-bin/rrr/details.cgi?RestaurantName=Arun's&Neighborhoods=&D5=0&D2=0&D6=0&D8=0&D7=0&Cuisines=&PriceCategory=&SearchByName.x=53&SearchByName.y=12&numb=568

Holy shit! I just saw this in the review…

Well, we used to do the place for about $60-80/head. And we drank seriously.

I thnk they have become infatuated with themselves.

That changed a few years back. The staff there had a meeting about whether to keep the prices reasonable, or raise them much, much higher. Unfortunately, half the staff agreed to raise the prices, the other half disagreed. Stuck at even-stevens in the vote, the manager suddenly grabbed the chef and threw him up in the air.

“When he comes down,” the manager said, “he’ll split in two. Section with the head, we raise prices; section with the buttocks, we keep them reasonable–whichever side is larger, wins.”

Yeah, it was a Thai-breaker.

Yikes. How did you become a mod, again? :stuck_out_tongue:

So, did you get to meet Cecil?