I was on Pennsylvania Avenue during the Inaugural. Questions/Thoughts/Comments on the day?

** Note: While this is more a bit of reportage and an encouragement for questions or thoughts on the proceedings, my personal politics will come right through. I encourage all to share their viewpoint in here, without it turning into Pit Fodder. **

For the third time I was standing on Pennsylvania Avenue during an Inaugural Parade. For President Obama’s, it was my first go. I was a part of the ABC News Pool Feed. This keeps the grounds from being engorged with hundreds of television crews, all trying to get the same shot. It’s common not only to covering the President but to covering most very large-scale events. ( When I shot the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, I worked for the World Pool Feed. Our outbound footage had zero graphics, zero host shots, zero narration, zero music. This allowed all nations who had NOT sent crews into Atlanta to use our work with their own graphics, etc. In that case, NBC used our line cut of our coverage integrated into THEIR broadcasts. So my parents got to watch my work on NBC even though I’d been hired by someone else. Upside? Tons of work that night. Downside? No Emmy Award for me even though all of my shots were fed through to NBC and out to America. Ahh well… )

Excited, nervous, very ready for the long slog. I was to walk back and forth in a “cattle chute” build from 2 long runs of bike rack-type police barricades. It was usually built JUST off of the curb on Pennsylvania Avenue proper. Because of the nonstop decades-long turf wars between law enforcement agencies, exactly where my work spot was turned out to be relevant to me and my Utility.

For both Obama’s and President Trump’s Inaugural, I operated a Steadicam system and my job was to track back and forth as the various parading groups paraded before the Presentation Stand. That’s the bullet-proof all-clear structure that used to be built right on the White House lawn between the fountain and the fencing.

I’d move with a group or against them, making shots. I loved doing it and could kinda not do any wrong since that kind of moving shot cuts well against any other shot. President Obama’s parade was a painful marathon of 3 + hours in the Steadicam. One does need to take it off now and then and I had a docking bracket at each end of the run. A minute or two out of the rig to remind my spine why it was attached to my body, and I’d be good to go for another 20-30 minutes.

For President Trump, the only difference was that I hardly got to walk with the First Family at all. I would have had a lovely side-view tracking shot of them. Traditionally the new First Family walks straight down the road, following the line of blue tape applied to Pennsylvania Avenue by a crew to guide marching bands and the drivers of various vehicles. In the case of the Trumps, they chose to walk for a fairly short amount of time before returning to The Beast ( the limousine used to transport/ protect the President ).

This year, as we all know, was completely different. I wondered what we’d have to shoot at all. Was happy to learn that we would see military marching groups before the motorcade arrived, and in fact would see the First and Second families walk up Pennsylvania Avenue.

This time, no Steadicam for me. It’s in the rear-view mirror. Lucky to still be included once I turned down the Steadicam position, I was using a large camera with a sports lens type of setup. The long end was 600 mm and it is a 4K broadcast lens. Makes for delicious images at the far end.

The day started at 4:30 am in the hotel lobby. By then I’d gotten used to walking past dozens and dozens of National Guard troops ( some of whom, we had learned by then, were White Nationalists who would much rather be rioting and making mayhem than serving in the Guard at the moment. ) After walking a labyrinth of Jersey barriers and "unscaleable " riot fencing, we got in and got things going.

At about 8:20 a.m., Marine One lifted off and removed President Trump from the grounds. It was a source of personal gratification and emotional uplifting to me. I actually choked up as I watched him leave the airspace. I’m well aware that he was still the President for another 3.5 hours ( give or take ). The physical act of departure was immensely joyous to me.

It departed low and quickly, as it always does. A few minutes later it came back from the east, over Lafayette Park, and did a final lap around/ above The White House. This is very much in keeping with tradition. In normal times the outgoing First family takes off from the Capitol after the luncheon in the Rotunda. They are offered the chance to do a final lap back around The White House before heading off to Joint Base Andrews. Most take the offer and do it. So, this wasn’t a case of Trump doing something arrogant at the taxpayer’s expense.

Got some long-lens ( 600mm ) shots of Marine One as it left the second time. Reset for the Inaugural Parade such as it was to be.

I’ve enjoyed the elegance and symmetry of the military bands twice already and this time was no exception. They’re terrific, they sound wonderful- and the Fife and Drum Corps dressed in Revolutionary War garb is mighty cool !!!

We covered the departure of the new First Family over to the Mall for the statement to those gathered for the concert and the arrival back at The White House.

The final work was to get some shots of the fireworks appearing in the night sky above The White House. Yes, they were far off- but visually they exploded above the roof. Great moments there. I had no way to see or hear the concert, but I’ll find it on the YouTubes.

Similarly, I could hear on the speaker system on Pennsylvania Avenue the sounds from the swearing-in. Heard Lady Gaga. Heard that wonderful poet read her piece. Could not see any of it, I will watch it this weekend.

The fears I had about potential violence were confirmed by the levels of security meetings, real in-battle protective masks and eye covering and breathing protection issued to all of us. I’m very grateful to have NOT needed it.

Another slice of history I got to watch unfold.

When I heard the announcer indicate that we would be reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and the National Anthem, I took off my headset and stepped away from my camera to the edge of my 4 foot high platform. And spoke those words while staring at The White House.

OUR house. Not the crassly-treated source of graft and corruption that it’s been used as for the last 4 years.

I cried as I recited the words. A few phrases held more power and sway than in any other time in my 58 years.

Glad I had the paying work, after 9 months of zero income. Glad I was a witness to this most important turning of the page. Glad to have this career.

I’m glad you were there and I very much enjoyed reading your story. Thanks.

Very cool, @Cartooniverse! Thanks for the report.

That’s a great story. I bet none of the rest of us will ever be as close to a presidential inauguration let alone taking video of it that will be seen on the national news. What impressed me about the whole inauguration was how HAPPY and upbeat everyone seemed compared to the anger and stress that were always around Grumpy Trumpy.

And you have answered a longtime stupid question of mine, which is why every station seems to have the same shots of every major event. I always thought there must be cameramen shoulder to shoulder, but in that case the angles would be a little different and you’d see other cameras in your shot. Duh. Ignorance fought! :grin:

Thank you for sharing this. It’s a lovely account. I’m also glad to hear that you’re working again. I hope that continues.