I was skewered today

Right through the navel in fact, and he used a pretty little dark blue hoop with a pewter ball in it. I was kind of scared at the thought, considering my phobia of all things hypodermic, but three of us went at the same time; me, a friend of mine, and my mother. Yes, my mother did it too, for the third time. First time she did it herself, enough said. Second time her body took over and healed the thing out. This is going to be her last try.
I cheated though, I used a numbing pad over the skin so maybe I wouldn’t feel it as badly, but it didn’t work, because all of the pain exists far far underneath the skin where a topical anesthetic won’t work anyway. I couldn’t look at the needle, 14 gauge, I just told him to do it quick and get it over with. His reply was, “You want it not to hurt, you want it to be as quick as possible, and you don’t want to think about it, anything else I can do for you?”

He was a really nice guy though, very professional. Very intelligent too, he went to med school but didn’t like the politics of medicine so dropped out to pursue his current career.
Anyways, it did hurt. Like a bitch. I have a high tolerance for pain though so I just winced for a moment and then it was over. My friend on the other hand has a much lower threshold than I do, and we knew what was going on when she yelled “Oh shit that hurts! OUCH!” through the small building. I laughed at her though for coming out and calling me a bitch for saying it didn’t hurt. It was in her best interest, if I had said that it hurt she wouldn’t have gone through with it.

It looks very nice, didn’t swell, no bleeding, no pus or plasma. I’ve been cleaning it regularly with antibacterial soap and piercing cleaner. It’s still a little sore, but I suppose that’s to be expected. All in all, I’m happy, and proud of myself for going through with it even though I have a severe phobia of needles and I don’t like my navel being touched anyway.

Seems a strange combination of irony doesn’t it?

-foxy