I watched a dumb movie called ‘65’ in the theater, so you don’t have to

If I’m going to watch a brainless monster movie (which I do love doing), I’ll take this: THE TANK Official Trailer (2023) Horror Movie HD - YouTube

Thank you for a very detailed critique!

I’m very good-natured when it comes to accepting the lack of believability in movies. I figure that the genre of fiction gives it a pass because fiction means, “not real”. Still, to think that two puny humans could traverse that environment and last even one day is reaaaaallllyyyy stretching it. What I don’t understand is how those two puny humans managed to survive an asteroid strike of such magnitude that it virtually depopulated the entire planet. I know it can’t be the escape pod because those are designed to just get you to the ground safely. They are not designed for long distance travel through space.

Actually, there was Star Trek episode designed to explain that. An ancient and incredibly advance civilization reached the point of extinction so, to carry on their race, they seeded many planets with their DNA. I don’t remember any more details such as why, if they were so advanced that they could seed the galaxy with their DNA, they couldn’t save themselves to begin with.

Okay, just found it. It was a Next Generation episode entitled: The Chase

It’s possible they were going for Baurasuchus. Here’s a screenshot I found, showing the weird way it crawled with its front almost against the ground and its hindquarters raised up:

I tried to find a shot of the weird mutated T Rex, with its abnormally long swole arms, but no luck.

Well, Adam Driver’s character did have a badass laser gun and a big bag of high tech mini-grenades, so they weren’t completely defenseless. Plus, the plucky girl at one point takes an old tusk or dino tooth, covers the sharp part in poison berry juice, and takes out a mutated T Rex that’s about to eat Driver by plunging it in the dino’s eye. It helps that the dino then stumbles into an Old Faithful-style geyser and cooks itself.

It played out like this (will spoiler to be on the safe side): The ship flew through what Driver called an 'asteroid debris field", bouncing off a few smaller rocks and crash-landing on Earth. Then, when they were on Earth, Driver realized, with the help of a cool analyzer thingy, that the debris field contained a Big Daddy asteroid that was on a direct collision course to hit Earth. So they only had a couple days before it struck to hike to the other half of the broken in half spaceship which contained what I called an escape pod, but I guess was more like a “space life boat”? A mini-spaceship capable of blasting off the planet and reaching a rescue craft interception point set up after he called for help.

Huh, didn’t know that. Still a bit of a stretch that, even starting with the same DNA, life developing from single-celled organisms through all of its iterations would always produce humanoids. But maybe, given planetary conditions very similar to Earth, humanoid creatures would often evolve. We evolved to be the way we are because we are well adapted to our environment.

I also had the thought, well, maybe when Adam Driver gets back to his people he says, “hey, that planet I crash-landed on? It has a termperate climate and breathable atmosphere, and as a bonus all those scary monsters were wiped out in the asteroid strike. Maybe when things settle down we could colonize.” But we know too much now for the “humans as transplanted aliens” theory to really work, since DNA analysis has shown us that all life is so interconnected that we share something like 50% of the same DNA as a banana.

FIFTY percent?! I love bananas and eat them every day. Now, you’ve made me feel like a cannibal. :laughing:

You MONSTER!!! :scream:

Ah, I get it!

Hey, it’s a harsh planet, and I’m a predator. :smiling_imp:

Now you need to change that grapefruit in your avatar into a banana.

The episode was much stupider than even that. If you combined the DNA of several intelligent species, you got a hologram message from the original aliens. It was one of their stupidest ideas about genetics, and that’s really saying something.

At least they have no bones.

But that weird looking monkey creature that said he came from the future assured us we had that extra million years to evolve into intelligent technological species and we should all just relax. It almost seems like he wanted us to go extinct.

Yeah, you really have to adjust expectations with the Star Trek franchise. It almost functions on the level of pure allegory for me. I enjoy watching well enough, but the ‘sci’ in the ‘sci-fi’ is softer than Silly Putty.

For the ‘65’ movie, I could suspend a fair amount of disbelief. The humanoid ‘ancient aliens’ were far from the worst of it for me. I’d say, in order, my problems with the movie were:

1. Dumbly designed dinos-- I mean, come on, like I said, everybody over the age of 5 knows broadly what a T Rex looks like, and it sure didn’t have Schwarzenegger arms. :roll_eyes:
  2. Glaringly obvious plot, with Driver and the girl so clearly plot-armored there was little tension to the danger scenes.
  3. Ancient aliens who were wholly human both in behavior and appearance (distant third).

That is SO cute!!! :heartbeat:

Ringringringringringringring banannabone!

Oh, I love top eat them everyday
And if you ask me why, I’ll say…
Eating related fruit has a way
with c-a-n-n-i-b-l-a!

(how’s that?)

Technically, the “seeds” as it were of this episode were planted in the TOS ep Return to Tomorrow. The proud hoomons dismissed it as horsepucky then.

SARGON: Because it is possible you are our descendants, Captain Kirk. Six thousand centuries ago, our vessels were colonising this galaxy, just as your own starships have now begun to explore that vastness. As you now leave your own seed on distant planets, so we left our seed behind us. Perhaps your own legends of an Adam and an Eve were two of our travellers.
MULHALL: Our beliefs and our studies indicate that life on our planet, Earth, evolved independently.
SPOCK: That would tend, however, to explain certain elements of Vulcan prehistory.

How could a species that advanced go extinct? They had the ability to find livable planets and switch solar systems.

They fought each other until they almost all died off. I’d guess the technologically advanced came home to fight, and the lazy, uneducated and brain damaged became Vulcans and Klingons. :slight_smile:

This could only be addressed to James T. Kirk.

The natural history museum I volunteer at opened a new exhibit 75,000,000 B.C. two years ago. I have joked it should be changed to 74,999,998.

“Awwww…the girl is a lovely shade of green, taking after her mother. She also chews the scenery, taking after her father.”