I went on a trip... through time! (part 2)

I saw Chile gain its independence from Spain…

In 1819…

in 1819, Victoria, the future Queen of England, was born

in 1820, the statue of Venus DeMilo was found.

in 1821…

In 1821, I was present at the death of Napoleon Bonaparte. (And the United States took possession of Florida, setting the stage for my apartment to be built).

In 1822…

I observed Charles Babbage’s early work on the Difference Engine, a machine designed to correct errors in navigation tables, as well as in other nautical aids.

In 1823…

In 1823, I bought the very first pair of roller skates.

In 1824…

…just to prove that there’s nothing new under the sun, John Quincy Adams, son of a former president, became president of the US himself after a hotly contested election that had to be sent to the US House, as neither Adams, nor Andrew Jackson. his opponent, had a majority of the electoral votes. Allegations of deal making and fraud abounded, especially after Adams made Henry Clay Secretary of State(Clay had been another candidate, and threw his support behind Adams)

In 1825…

[QUOTE=BakerIn 1825…[/QUOTE]

I attended the opening ceremonies of the Erie Canal. In keeping with the theme started by Baker, it’s interesting to note that the presiding official was Governor Clinton, who had recently overcome political turmoil.

…I read the newly published The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper, a work which made possible one of the most inspired literary critiques ever.

In 1827…

And, of course, when I finally travelled to 1895 I realized that Twain wrote his essay about The Deerslayer, not The Last of the Mohicans. Time travel is a tricky business.

I happened to be at Britain’s Bunhill Fields cemetery as poet William Blake was buried in an unmarked grave.

In 1828…

I went on a trip through Olympia! to Lake Quanault Lodge which is sort of a trip through time. No phones, no TVs, just a quiet place with a big fireplace and huge, comfy chairs.
(sorry for the hijack, I couldn’t help it.)

The “Jacksonian” era begins in the US, as Andrew Jackson is elected President in his rematch with John Quincy Adams.

In 1829…

In 1829, if I were blind, Louis Braille invents his raised writing. Thus helping me order a big mac at McDonald’s.

In 1830, Scotland Yard was organized.

In 1831…

I witnessed the inauguration of Leopold I of Belgium.

In 1832…

Mormon founder, martyr Joseph Smith was beaten, tarred and feathered in Ohio.

In 1833…

Ok, wait.

When was the war of 1812?

I’m sorry. I really couldn’t help it. I fought it for a good minute, but lost ultimately.

I caught the Great Leonid Meteor Storm that lit up the skies over the eastern USA for four spectacular hours.

In 1834…

…Charles Darwin was sailing the waters off South America in the “Beagle.”

In 1835 …