[QUOTE=E-Sabbath]
Well, as I said, I’m pretty sure that sort of thing could be dealt with on a procedural level. Licensed and trained teachers… and not all of them, maybe one or two a school. It doesn’t have to be broadcast who is the teacher with the marshal training, either, except on the administrative level. Biometric gun safe should deal with theft issues, too.
[/quote]
I think we have about 25,000 schools in England. Your suggestion would mean training and arming 50,000 people. Far more in the US.
I can assure you that the pupils would soon find out who had the guns. They love that sort of thing!
How much does a biometric gun cost?
[QUOTE=E-Sabbath]
Guns are damn handy, because we still get wild animals around. And I’m not talking about people. Rabid raccoons, for example, are a fairly common thing in my neck of the woods… which happens to be one of the older areas of the USA. Ever hear of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, or Benedict Arnold and Major Andre? Right there. (And yes, the bridge and the old church still stand, and the real place he was captured was behind the school, not where they put the statue.) We get bears in the middle of the city of White Plains, too, which goes back a ways. And I’m not even going to think about the Jersey bear problem.
[/quote]
We still have licensed shotgun owners in the countryside here. But surely bets way to deal with the animal problem is not to give everyone a handgun?
[QUOTE=E-Sabbath]
Far as school shootings continuing when guns are legal… well, they’ll continue if they’re not.
[/quote]
See my previous post. They haven’t in the the UK.
[QUOTE=E-Sabbath]
Frankly, guns are the least of my concerns in a school, we used to get bomb threats every couple months, and some were real, in high school. There’s a case from '27 that matches pretty well what happened the other day… only worse.
[/quote]
How many incidents?
How many deaths?
And why not eliminate the shootings, then deal with the bombs?
[QUOTE=E-Sabbath]
I could probably have made a revolver if I worked at it.
People are occasionally pretty messed up in the head. And I tell you, when they want to kill someone, they will.
[/quote]
Not in the UK.
[QUOTE=E-Sabbath]
After 9/11, which is when I started thinking about this sort of thing, I came to the conclusion that we as a people, as a nation, and as a society can only win by standing together and making the determination that we will fight these tactics in person, with whatever we have to hand. I make no distinction between yesterday and those people who took over the airplane, it is the same sickness that posseses them all.
And I will not stand for it.
[/QUOTE]
Well I appreciate your determination. But I think this is a problem society needs to solve, not individuals.