"Ich liebe dich, mein General!" or, RIP, Warren Clarke

Warren Clarke, a British character actor and, occasionally, leading man, died on 12 November after a short illness.

One of those actors who you see often, and probably say to yourself, “I’m sure I’ve seen that guy before.”

Anyway, any actor connected to my second favorite movie, Top Secret will always have a place in my heart.

Top secret? Heck, he was Dim, one of Alex’ Droogs in a Clockwork Orange!

http://media.photobucket.com/user/Gore_Bondage_YNT/media/orange1.jpg.html?filters[term]=a%20clockwork%20orange&filters[primary]=images&sort=1&o=83

Why are the East Germans wearing Nazi helmets and carrying Schmeissers, Mausers, and Lugers instead of Kalashnikovs and Makarovs? :confused:

Because the film, while nominally set in the then present-day, was actually spoofing WWII movies. You might as well ask how come the Resistance fighters all had French accents.

This film has to be seen to be believed. And once seen, you will still ask yourself, “WT-ever-lovin’-F did I just watch?”

• Nick Rivers: Listen to me, Hillary. I’m not the first guy who fell in love with a woman that he met at a restaurant who turned out to be the daughter of a kidnapped scientist, only to lose her to her childhood lover who she last saw on a deserted island, who then turned out fifteen years later to be the leader of the French underground.

Hillary Flammond: I know. It all sounds like some bad movie. *

Time stamp 0:33

I liked Sleepers, but I’m kind of a sucker for Cold War stories.

HALF of it is a parody of WW2 movies- the other half seems to be an homage and parody of the terrible movies Elvis used to make.

I was channel surfing a while ago and caught a little bit of Downton Abbey. There was an actor I was sure I’d seen somewhere before. Yes, I had a moment of deja vu, recognizing Deja Vu.

“Take his cigar. SMOKE EET!” -Firefox

It’s both. f course. It’s like Blue Germany.

Well, maybe Rausabout.

Heil Las Vegas

Perhaps its not been broadcast in the US but he was well-known as Andy Dalziel in the TV adaptation of Reginald Hill’s Dalziel and Pascoe detective procedural series.

The novels were as good as any mismatched cop series ever written, with Hill’s sly humour at their interaction and weaknesses. Almost an impossible job to pull off in a television adaptation, but Clarke got pretty close with a sterling mix of northern wit, charm and menace, and great physicality running to fat. He owned the role.

If you’ve not seen it, find it, or even better read the books.

Holy cow. That’s a deservedly famous, memorable role.

(Not that *Top Secret *isn’t the best movie in the world, after Airplane.)

Same reason the black porters and the other civilians speak Yiddish.

Damn straight you can bet when I saw Jim Carter was in DA I chortled, “Haven’t I’ve met before, monsieur?”

I have 2 hobbies with which I enjoy annoying fellow movie/TV watchers: pointing out actors who have been in Top Secret! and those who have been in Doctor Who.*

Drives my family nuts. :smiley:
[sub]*Bonus round: Christopher Villiers played “The Torch” in TS! and “Prof. Moorhouse” in DW:S08E08![/sub]

Oy vey! :eek: