ID a Skull

My WAG is that it’s some sort of manta or sting ray. No luck so far in finding confirmation on the net.

Mantas and rays are largely cartilaginous, like sharks.

I mean “mantas and other rays”, of course…

Yes. It’s kind of hard to tell on the web whether that’s bone or calcified cartilage.

If that supposed mandible is actually a pectoral girdle of some sort, then it’s probably not a fish.

My SWAG at this point is catfish. Certainly the roof of the skull is like that of certain catfish, as is the fin spine. I’m not so sure about the pectoral girdle.

Terminus Est, that’s definitely bone. And some fish have pectoral girdles.

Oh, I agree that it’s probably bone. But upon seeing the pictures, the word “manta” just popped into my head. Hence my extremely-WAG.

I made a few more pics of the “spur”. The skull is really lite. I can believe the fish observation, but are those little “teeth” supposed to the the start of the fin? Negatory on the manta ray or shark hypothesis. This is central Texas we’re talking about. Thank you all for your help.

Fish skeleton

The elements of the skeleton you seem to have are the braincase (mostly), pectoral girdle, plus one of the pelvic spines.

I agree with the catfish skull. See here for a both a ventral and dorsal view of a catfish skull.

Note that my above link is for an Australian catfish; I’m not implying that’s what I think this is. It’s just the best on-line pic of a catfish skull I’ve been able to find thus far…

Catfish typically have single sharp spines at the leading edge of the dorsal fin and each pectoral fin. Both Channel and Flathead Catfish occur in Texas and could be big enough to have a skull of the size you found.

Thanks for your help. It definitely looks like the catfish skull listed on the net. I was hoping it was something a little more sexier. Maybe an escaped man/dog eating anaconda for instance. Oh well, maybe next time. Thanks

It’s definately part of a fish skull; most likely a catfish. The spur would be one the the fin spines, probably a pectoral fin… though I’m not sure; the groove probly being where the fin or ray tissue was held in. You have different peices of the skeleton. The lower jaw looking bit would be the pelvic girdle. You see how it’s meshed together down the center, has quite a broad flat bottom, and is very thin and fragile looking alone the front edge. The back be is pointy with some thin cartilage that looks dried and curled, which is a problem when drying fish bones. A lower jaw will usually be more robust, have a hinge, and be more of a frame with tissue covering the bottom of the mouth; this is more of a thin plate, which would be found closer to the fishes throat than head.
The only part of the head you have is the neurocranium; the part that houses the brain and top strip down the “forehead and nose”. The two tabs near the front would be the mesethmoid, the wings coming down and out the back the sphenotics, and I can sort of make out the basioccipitals and parasphenoids at the back too. These bones are all fused together on this part of the skull, while the superficial face bones like the maxilla, dentary, opercular and orbital bones all come apart easily once decomposition starts being only held together with cartilage.
There is I think the first vertebrae still stuck on the back, which is common too (I have prepared fish skulls for university). The skull being found in a backyard would explain why it was in peices, and only those more solid/substancial peices being left - no teeth found 'cause those bones carrying them got scattered somewhere else… not that catfish teeth would be much to look at.

Thank you all for your help. Lots of good info.

Good post, mmmiiikkkeee, but one nitpick: It’s a pectoral girdle, not a pelvic. In catfish in particular the pectoral would be associated with the head. I don’t think catfish have such a robust pelvic girdle, and anyway their pelvic fins are well behind the head.

Ahh yes… we don’t have channel catfish up here so I’ve never sliced one open - and catfish overall come in so many different shapes. Some of the more advanced fish have the pectorals up more on the sides of the body, while the pelvic fins are pushed right up almost under their heads; that is where you find really robust pelvic girdles (cottids are a good example).