ID this quote

“Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day; teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.”

This really annoying person I know attributed it to Lao Tzu, and I’m itching to put him in his place. Unfortunately, I don’t actually know who said it either, and I can’t find it on the Web. It sounds distinctly 20th century to me, though.

Anyone know beyond doubt who originally said it?

I said it once, but I don’t think I was the first to say it.

Besides, I think you’ve misquoted it: “Build a man a fire, and you keep him warm for an hour. Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.”

according to this, it’s (in a similar form) attributed to Kuan-tzu (Chinese Philosopher). But we don’t have him on video saying it. (:D)

DNA evidence isn’t necessary. I’ll be happy with an authoritative citation.

No DNA yet, but according to:
this and this and this, and this and this it’s the person I listed before/ancient Chinese proverb (not to be confused with “Calgon” the ancient Chinese secret. I watch too much TV)

wring, I thought “Pearl Cream” or some food item - La Choy? - no, that makes things “swing American” - was the Ancient Chinese Secret. :wink:

Could be. I was referring to a (very tired sterotypical) commercial that had a laundry with a “Chinese” proprieter claiming that an “ancient Chinese secret” was responsible for the whiteness of the shirts laundered there. The wife busts him with “we need more Calgon”. :rolleyes:

we now return you to your scheduled thread already in progress.

Well, OK, we don’t return you quite yet…

A couple years ago, Jackie Chan hosted Saturday Night Live and did a parody of this commercial…when his wife busted him in front of a customer, he proceeds to go…well, to go Jackie Chan all over the poor customer.

Not that this has anything to do with anything, of course.

The people responsible for the preceding hijack have just been hijacked…