Identify a Map (or two)

My father-in-law has several old prints of paintings and such at his house, and he was digging through them last month and found a few old map prints. They don’t have much identifying marks, but the few things we can find show that one was printed in New Jersey and the name with it is now a pharmaceutical company.

We have no idea where these came from and he thought they may be worth something, but they also could be worthless. He asked my wife and I to research them first before he took them (and other antique-y things) to an appraiser-type person.

Here are some pictures of the maps…

Map 1 - Western Hemisphere
Map 1 - Eastern Hemisphere
Map 2 - Western Hemisphere
Map 2 - Eastern Hemisphere

Any information about them at all would be a wonderful help, or even a point in the right direction. Thanks in advance, dopers…

Brendon Small

If nobody else answers, I can check this evening after I get home and probably tell you which maps they’re reproductions of!
I won’t be able to say anything about their value, although I suspect it’s pretty low.

That’s cool. I figure they aren’t worth much as they are reproductions, but he is kind of convinced that they are valuable. Of course, it’s possible they are, but it seems like that would be too good of luck to run across something worth a lot by chance in the house…

Brendon Small

I remember National Geographic released ‘ye olde mappe reproductiones’ about 20 years ago. Might be them.

Or was it Reader’s Digest?

The second map is by Abraham Ortelius - 1570

The first map looks like an equatorial stereographic projection.

Pretty sure the first map is a version of a map originally published by Mercator. Henricus Hondius published versions of this map too.

The first is definitely John Overton’s world map of 1670. As is fairly typical for the period, most of the actual map can be traced to earlier world maps, but it’s the surround that’s particularly distinctive.

As ticker has realised, the second is Ortelius’s 1570 world map from Theatrum orbis terrarum. But this page has a version closer to the OP’s than the (I believe later) version already linked to.

Ah, back too late, I see.
Oh well, you’ve the information quicker than I might have provided it…

I do have the information now, but I have another quick question. Is there any way to find out where these reproductions came from? As I said in the OP, the one has a company name and “New Jersey” in the bottom corner, but that has led to little information.

Brendon Small

Sorry to double post, and I don’t have the map in front of me, but printed on the bottom is “Hoffman-La Roche.” As I said, it seems to be a pharmaceutical company now.

Brendon Small

I’ll wager they were premiums given away by Hoffman-La Roche sometime between 1960 and 1980. Many coin reproductions were made by pharmaceutical companies and given away as premiums in that time period. Just a WAG.

here is something I found googling Hoffman-LaRoche maps. Do a Control-F to find the relevant line. Interestingly it is associated with New Jersey.