Ok, here’s a painful childhood memory I’d like to put to rest. One of those that’s so crusty-old that it hurts to remember it. I saw it in the late 70s to mid 80s (hey, I was a kid, my sense of time didn’t extend past saturday morning cartoons) and am dying to find out what it was. Fortunately, it had some very striking visual images that I’m sure you’ll recognize if you saw it…
- A dad of a young family (Mom, Dad, little boy) dies/is abducted by aliens.
- “Dad” comes back, but as an alien-clone-thing, the scene this is in shows him sort of skinless and evolving slowly into human form (a la Hellraiser, but this was well before Hellraiser) and this one bit where he is flopping around on the floor skinless crab-style, with his elbows and knees bent the wrong way! (apparently the aliens hadn’t quite figured out the human form)
- “Dad” now tries to look up his old family, one scene shows him at a pay phone, calling his wife. When his wife answers he opens his mouth and can only manage a gurgle (apparently not quite having mastered speech yet). Then as he hands up the phone the reciever handle melts in his hand (WTF?).
- “Dad” eventually gets back together with the family and all is well for a while. He and the boy then capture this teenage girl (sister/babysitter?) and put her in a cocoon sort of thing, and these transluscent eggs come oozing out of the cocoon on a little chute, presumably manufactured by the now-mutated girl.
- In the final scene “Dad” and the little boy are taken away on a space ship, they’re both all skinless and creepy looking, with a bright light behind them as they wave goodbye to Mom.
Ok, that’s all I can remember. I may have gotten some of the details slightly wrong, but it’s the best I can do… Please help!