Identify this book about pirate maids.

When I was a kid I read a novel about a serving girl who turned pirate in ye olde England. This was an adult’s book, not a kid book. I’ve since lost it and would love to read it again. Please help me identify it as it’s driving me nuts trying to find it again.

Basic plot. Young lass grows up on a Caribbean island and is tutored in sailing and swordfighting by and older chap. Somehow she ends up in England as a maidservant . A famous pirate is caught by her master and imprisoned and tortured in the grounds of his estate. The girl (who I think may be called Marie Ravenne) falls in love, yadda yadda, helps him escape.

Selfish bugger has it away on his toes and abandons her to her fate. She takes up piracy and has all sorts of jolly japes before meeting him again and kicking the crap out of him due to her swordfighting skills. Eventually they end up on the island she grew up on and presumably lived happily ever after.

So what’s this book? I *think *it was called something like ‘Raven’ but amazon searches don’t turn it up. Does anyone recognise it and could furnish me with an author name?

I don’t know the name of the book, however I know a website that might. Here is the The Romance Reader. They have Readers Helping Readers, where people name the book title from a plot summery (such as you have already given us).

w00t! Thanks Reepicheep. That sound exactly what I need.

Pirate maids, hentai-style. Mmmmmmmmm…

Pirates don’t have maids; they have wenches.

She started out as a serving wench but decided to be a pirate instead. Who says women couldn’t have a career outside the home back in the 18th century!

Actually, now I think about it, she didn’t remain a maid for long. Could a mod please replace the title with ‘Identify this book about pirate hussies’? :wink:

Is it just me, or does this sound like a slightly fictionalized account inspired by Mary Read’s story?

Having checked out your link and also the wiki about Ann Bonny I have to say, no, the story I read wasn’t reminiscent of either of those accounts. :slight_smile:

When were you a kid?

Author: Stockton, Frank Richard, 1834-1902.
Title: Kate Bonnet; the romance of a pirate’s daughter, by Frank R. Stockton; illustrated by A. J. Keller and H. S. Potter.
Published: New York, D. Appleton and company, 1902.

Author: Hough, Emerson, 1857-1923.
Title: The lady and the pirate: being the plain tale of a diligent pirate and a fair captive / by Emerson Hough … ; illustrated by Harry A. Mathes.
Published: Indianapolis : The Bobbs-Merrill Company, c1913.

Author: Lester, Samantha.
Title: Love’s captive / Samantha Lester.
Published: New York : Dell, c1979.