Identify this bread/pastry?

Whatever you are buying is grammatically incorrect.

Does that mean I shouldn’t eat it?

As well as roast beef, Welsh rarebit, and green jello?

We used to make poticia at home every Christmas, and it was wonderful…but not in a tall loaf shape like that…a much squatter roll, like strudel. I always loved my mother’s poticia, which we froze and had throughout the year…until I tasted the poticia the women at the Slovene Workman’s Home made for wedding receptions…oh, my, god, it was sublime! I really need to find out when they bake, and drive over to the East Side to get some this year…I just don’t have time this year to try making my own. This thread has made me hungry enough to think about trying the one at Giant Eagle…

This bread looks so good, and I’ve been thinking how I’ve wanted to make some rich bread for a week now. I don’t know if I’ll try this or some good old cinnamon rolls soon.

Prove it.

After seeing that you found what it was, I went looking for it in my bread books. I didn’t find anything by that name. Lots of things with cream cheese, lots of things with nuts, but no povitica.

Creamed” would imply a finished cheese is beaten into a creamy consistency, or that cream is added to a finished cheese - essentially something done after it is cheese, which is not the case. Cream cheese is an unripened cheese with a specific moisture content; the cream is part of the base mixture used to make the cheese. The finished cheese is not “creamed”, rather, it’s made with cream as an ingredient similar to the production of foods like garlic cheese or apple pie.

Dang it, we don’t seem to have any Eastern Europeans down here, just Germans and Amish.

It’s unfair!

Tell that to Webster.

Those are yummy. The poppy seed one (makowiec, “mak” means “poppyseed” in Polish) is a common Christmastime treat in Polish families. The walnut one is called strucla orzechowa or strucla z orzechami. Makowiec also goes by the name of strucla makowa or strucla z makiem. You’ll find analogues of this dish around Central Europe. In Hungary, which I have most experience with outside Poland, you’ll find them sold as mákos beigli (poppyseed) and diós beigli (walnut.) In my experience, potica is usually made with thinner sheets of dough, but looking at pictures online shows that potica seems to come in versions that are similar to the thicker-layered Polish and Hungarian rolls.

I don’t know where you’re from, but in the United States and Canada, it’s Cream Cheese. Feel free to visit the Philadelphia Cream Cheese website to confirm. My Ukrainian-Canadian mom does used Creamed Cottage Cheese when making perogies and such. Is that the stuff to which you’re referring?

Back on topic, I’ve had walnut bread like the one jsgoddess showed, and it was incredible. I’ve also had the poppyseed version mentioned by others and loved it, too. I would definitely order it if I wasn’t worried I’d eat the entire thing by myself.

There are 9000 recipes for it online (well, 9000 links, anyway). Maybe you can find one where people have rated the finished product.

Personally I prefer the poppy seed roll to the walnut.

Kind of a new take on cinnamon rolls and a short cut to potica for the person who mentioned cinnaamon rolls above… But if you can make a really nice homemade sweet dough for cinnamon rolls, you can ostensibly also use that dough and a can or two of Solo Poppy Seed Filling to make poppy seed potica rolls.

Simply substitute the solo poppy seed filling for the cinnamon and streusel filling, roll and cut as usual. Bake as usual, but then top with a powdered sugar glaze made with a couple tablespoons of orange juice

I was only looking in the books I’ve got. I wish I had the internet in my kitchen so I could thumb through it with floury hands while I’m waiting for the bread to rise.

Just get yourself one of these.

Two things:

1. Hell
  2. No

We are way too connected as it is.

I still do not agree that cream is the way to go here(cream peas? cream onions?), but if the general consensus is against me, then I still think I’m right. Whatever.

If, however, the general consensus comes to abide, ice tea, mash potatoes, fillayo fish, or chocolate fill pie then I give up.

Homophone - one sound, two words.

Creamed: a dish which is creamed (verb), that is, mixed to a homogenous consistency with a beater or spoon (not a whisk - that’s whipping). AKA “beaten until smooth and creamy” creamy = cream like.

Creamed _____ : a dish consisting of chunky bits which has cream added to it, generally as a sauce.

Cream: the fat portion of milk that rises to the top. AKA Heavy cream. Used to make whipped cream, coffee cream and cream cheese.

Creamed cheese would be any variety of cheese beaten until smooth and creamy. Or, I suppose, cheese chunks floating in a cream sauce. (Ew.) The white stuff sold by Philly is Cream Cheese. The fluffy white stuff sold by Philly is Whipped (not creamed) cream cheese.

I’m having Home-Ec flashbacks. The teacher walked around on her tiptoes and screeched “You have to cream the butter and the sugar! You have to cream the butter and the sugar!”

Gah.

:smiley:

But of course! It’s called the Creaming Method (of baking), after all!