Identify this dog breed.

My husband and I recently put our Siberian Husky to sleep, but have another younger dog that needs a companion. On our walks at the dog park, we see this one type of dog that we are really interested in. Our searches this morning have come up with similar breeds, but not THE breed. Of course, if we see them again, we’ll ask what they are, but barring that, I was hoping someone on the Dope might be able to help.

The dog looks like a cross between a Whippit (body type) and an Irish Wolfhound (fur type). We had originally thought it must be an Irish Wolfhound but the nose is much longer then all the breed pictures we can find of the Wolfhounds.

Long, skinny tail, long snout. Slender body, slender legs. Medium to long haired, very coarse fur. Taller dog, about 36" to their back/shoulder.

Any ideas?

Scottish Deerhound?

My very favorite dog. :slight_smile:

Afghan Hound?

I hate to be a wet blanket, but please don’t buy a dog based on little more than the way it looks. Behavior is far more important. All dog breeds have their good and bad points, but you have to match them to your lifestyle. Hounds will behave very differently than your Husky. For one thing, they can have a tendency to be escape artists because of the urge to follow their nose, so if you don’t have an awesome back yard that’s completely escape proof, you could be in trouble. Some of them bark incessantly. The ‘sight hounds’ like the Whippet can be extremely hard to train.

I could be speaking out of turn because I don’t know how much experience you have with other dogs, but before choosing any dog, research the breed very carefully and talk to other owners of the same breed. You can probably find them right here on this board.

I shoul dont worry too much, if you can handle a Siberian Husky I can’t see you having problems with much else, they are pretty wilful dogs.

Hounds for the most part don’t seem to be all that long lived, except for beagles.

It sounds a bit like a lurcher, large nose, rangy, and some of them have wiry coats. They can run like heck, very amusing dogs too, lots of charactor.

I agree, but would go just one step further to please don’t buy a dog unless there are no suitable candidates from a rescue organization or shelter.(Most dogs taken in by rescue groups or shelters are not there due to bad behavior or being “bad dogs”- a myth I am hoping to help dispel- and there are some truly wonderful animals in need of loving homes.)

That said, I did not quite understand from the OP if you are seeing one dog of this type or many that are similar. But if it is just one or two dogs that you are seeing, is it possible that it is a mix?

My own lab and (probably but not certainly)shepherd mix has the appearance of a pure-bred something, but no one can ever place what that something is. :wink: I get lots of inquiries about breed type (probably because he is the perfect dog, after all ;)) and people wanting to know the breeder because it is just the type of puppy they were looking for.

I think that’s it, koeeoaddi! Thanks!

As for the rest of you, don’t worry! We have more then enough experience with dogs (including the willful Husky, who was so well behaved, she was never on a leash - she’d heel on the sidewalk). We’re actually a foster home for rescue dogs and have one or two at a time on a regular basis. We take them in, get them to health, do the basic training (housetraining, walking on a leash, sit, lay, stay, come), and then adopt them out through the organization. Our other dog, Khuno, was a foster that we adopted two years ago. We do more then enough with rescues, both with time and money, that we feel justified in having one pure bred dog.

“Rescue” and “purebred” are not mutually exclusive. Both my purebred corgis are rescues. Here’s information about Scottish Deerhound rescue: http://www.deerhound.org/rescue.shtml