Identify this fable about a pretty collar

Can someone help me refresh my memory about this fable (probably by Æsop)? There are two animals, one domesticated and one wild or feral, who meet. The wild animal notices that the domesticated one has a pretty collar on; he is impressed and asks about it, thinking that maybe he can obtain one too. The domesticated animal is flattered and explains what it’s for and where he got it. The wild animal then realizes that the domesticated animal is effectively a prisoner of his master but has been deluded into accepting his position with the pretty collar.

I’d appreciate it if someone could identify the original title and author of the story, and the two animals involved. A link to the original fable, or a later public-domain retelling, would also be great.

See if this link helps at all. :slight_smile:

It’s one of Aesop’s fables…the Wolf, The Dog and the Collar, maybe? That’s sort of a similar story, about how a wolf is impressed that a dog is so well fed, but then changes his mind when he realizes the dog is chained?

Yeah, I’d also come across the story mentioned by the two posters. It’s a bit different from my recollection, since in my story the wolf is at first impressed with the shiny collar and wants one for himself, but in the stories thus far posted the wolf is immediately horrified at the collar. Perhaps I am recalling a different fable, or perhaps a later modified version of the heavy-collar story. Is there perhaps some famous Medieval, Renaissance, or Victorian retelling of Æsop’s fable that I’m remembering? I’m pretty sure I read this fable in a book with coloured 18th- or 19th-century woodcut illustrations.

I have identified the book in question: Aesop’s Fables drawn by Charles H. Bennett. It’s a 19th-century book; a new edition with additional illustrations from Randolph Caldecott was published in 1986. Here are some images of the cover and illustrations:[ul]
[li]Book cover on eBay.co.uk[/li][li]Various illustrations[/li][li]Book cover (scroll down to #3)[/li][/ul]If someone has a copy of this book, perhaps they can let me know if one of the fables inside is what I’m remembering…?

I have found an almost identical story in my Aesop’s book, only there’s no collar-coveting mentioned.

The moral, as written: There is nothing worth so much as liberty.

“The Wolf and the House Dog,” The Aesop for Children, reprinted in 1993 by Barnes & Noble Books.

The complete (very short) story here

THE WOLF AND THE HOUSE DOG

Similar story with specific collar mention

IIRC there’s something in Animal Farm One of the horses longs for a pretty collar. The pigs won’t let her wear one, because its the mark of slavery. So she runs away to another farm.

You almost RC, Peter, but it wasn’t a collar, it was ribbons: