If a Person Who Commits a Felony is Called a Felon...

…then what is a person who commits a misdemeanor? A misdmeany?

Dunno, but isn’t “jeopardy” defined as “the act committed by a jeopard” ?

a misdemeanant.

(I may be off on spelling, the last sylable is prounced like the insect).

a perpetrator :smiley:

Oh, all right, somebody has to say it:

“Sex is a misdemeanor. De more I miss, de meaner I get.”

Thank you, wring. Now I can finish that job application…

yr. welcome. Never know on these threads when people are actually looking for a straight answer (and yes, I know there’s lots of jokes that are to be made with that)

The spelling is correct. There is also a verb misdemean.

Hijacking, but a nifty bit of etymology…Felon is derived from the Latin fellare, mening “to suck”, and yes, used in an obscene sense.

What about miscreant?

I personally have never heard of misdemean or misdemeanant, maybe they are american english?

What would misdemean mean anyway - I wanted to demean you but failed to do it properly? Let me try again now. :slight_smile:

my dictionary lists a “miscreant” as a villian or evil doer. There is no word listed for misdemean.

Misdemeanor is crime, classification of something less than a felony.

My dictionary is bigger than yours! Nanny, nanny, nanny! Sorry. I couldn’t help myself.

Yes a miscreant is an evil doer, but I have only ever seen it used (or used it myself) for something that is not serious - less than a felony.

And so what does misdemean actually mean? Although I can guess what it means, what is the actual meaning? (living in a place without any english dictionaries - translation dictionaries yes, but no english-english ones)

“quality, not quantity” nyeh.( :smiley: )

Flo don’t believe that misdemean IS a word.
yea, I think common usage for miscreant is more of a “childish prank” nature than true evil, but that goes along with the misdeamenor is less than a felony concept as well.

My (admittedly smaller than bibliophage’s) dictionary lists:
miscreant (already discussed), misdemeanant (already discussed), misdemeanor (already discussed), misdemeanour (variant spelling of misdemeanor), but no word “misdemean”.

Black’s Law Dictionary (6th ed. 1990)

Spelling error:

That should be “Misdemeanant

I say that Flo SHOULD believe it is a word.
misdemean \Mis`de*mean", v. t. To behave ill; – with a reflexive pronoun; as, to misdemean one’s self.
[sub]Source: Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.[/sub]

misdemean: \Mis`de*mean", v. t. To behave ill; – with a reflexive pronoun; as, to misdemean one’s self.

[sub]Source: Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.[/sub]

…How’s that?

I sit corrected [sub] damn those itty bitty dictionaries anyhow…[/sub]

------------A snotty little punk. :stuck_out_tongue: