If being short meant being a minority, and having minority status

So I’m reading this book called Slay, and so far I’m riveted. It’s about a teenage Black girl, who creates an MMORPG exclusively for Black* players. A lot of stuff happens, but what I’m on about is when the main character’s sister has to explain, to their white friends, that yes, it is important to have a Black-only MMORPG. “Imagine that absolutely nothing in the world was for you,” she begins. And I can tell by the white kids’ reaction that they’re having trouble wrapping their minds around that speech. Because they’re privileged in a lot of ways, and they really do live in a world where everything is geared towards them.

Now, I’m over fifty, I’ve had a lot more than one black friend, and I have not restricted my reading, movie/TV watching, and other media consumption to white-oriented material. For all that, though, I might still never really “get it”. But I think I can gain an understanding by putting it in a context I am familiar with: Not being tall, when that, at least in the USA, is the norm.

I’m 5’1". Even for a woman, that’s pretty short. There are some things I have to live with every day. I have to use a stepstool, or ask for assistance, to reach shelves that are not necessarily “high” to an average person. I usually have to look up if I want to look people in the eye. When I drive, I have to pull the seat almost all the way forward, a lot of chairs are too big for me to sit all the way back and have my feet on the floor, finding a skirt I like in the length that I want is often a lost cause…But for the most part, it’s not personal; it’s not something people are doing to me, to my face, without even realizing how wrong they are.

But suppose it was like that? Suppose being short meant being a minority. Suppose…well, don’t suppose that the Western world is run mostly by tall people, but suppose they used/abused that difference to their advantage, and saw short people as a suspicious Other.

Suppose I started counting, and then lost count of, the number of times I’d been asked, “Are you a gymnast?” Or if I was a guy, a jockey. And also asked if I knew this other short person they used to work with. And, at parties, told, “There’s someone you gotta meet!” and dragged over to the one short person of my preferred gender.

And then, if I hadn’t been introduced, by a tall person, to the one other short person in the group, I’d better watch myself. If we found each other on our own and started hanging out together, the talls might get uncomfortable. And then Og forbid another shortie shows up and joins us. “Are they grouping up? Are they gonna start something?”

If people were constantly commenting on my shortness, like they have to reassure me it didn’t bother them. Well, that sometimes does happen. I have a guy friend whose driver’s license says he’s 5’4"* * , and who is active in local theater. As such, he gets measured a lot, for costumes, and he finally had to tell people “You don’t have to toss me the bone of ‘And a half!’ No one is going to mistake me for Pau Gasol; I don’t care about a half inch more or less.” But anyway, suppose people somehow felt compelled to tell me that they used to be good friends with another short person, and they love Michael J. Fox*** and so forth. You know, they’re “comfortable” around me, but of course, I’m one of the good ones, more like a hobbit than a dwarf.

And what if, when I was a teen and twenty-something, on the one hand, my parents were urging me to act taller, or at least less short. Wear cowboy boots or three-inch pumps. Tease or spike your hair up! Wear vertical stripes! I mean, you can’t make your shortness too obvious if you want to get into a mostly-tall school, or work in a predominantly tall industry. And on the other hand, suppose some (or a lot) of my short peers gave me a hard time for that and called me a sellout. And suppose I succeeded in my chosen industry, and got promoted to a higher level than any previous short person. Would I have to live with the knowledge that I would probably be the only shortie in the boardroom until I retired or moved on? Because, again, we can’t have two of them on the same level…

And probably other examples, but you get the idea. Is that what it’s like, to be of color in a predominantly white world? If it is, I think I have some understanding. Even if I never truly “get it”, I can relate, and proceed with empathy.

I hope, anyway.

*The author capitalizes, so if I talk about her book, I guess I should capitalize too.

**I mean, who knows their precise height? It can fluctuate even in adulthood, depending on a lot of things, like how limber one is. But does anyone ever say they’re 6’3" and a half? And how do you determine who’s “really short”? What if there was an amusement park ride test, like the paper bag test?

***Or Kevin Hart, if we’re really through the looking glass, and this heightist world is truly color-blind!

What is an MMORPG?

Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game.

You may be interested in knowing that I started the short rights movement back in 1971:

Incidentally, I didn’t get any input on precisely what that article said, not did I chose the title or what magazine it appeared in.

Randy Newman would have been cancelled long ago…

I didn’t call you a midget, I called you a midga.

Ha ha, but that’s also what he was getting at when he wrote that song.

I have freakishly long arms. I feel put upon by my short family members.

Yes. There’s a top to the fridge . Yes. I can reach that tall shelf, that why I hide my shit up there. No. All the drinkware will not stay in the dishwasher cause you don’t like reaching up for a glass.

I think you’re being facetious, OP. But my plight is real. :blush:

I am a 5’2" woman. I think it’s more of a discrimination issue if you’re a man. Short men are more vulnerable to bullying and prisoner abuse. I think women are more likely to be discriminated against because they’re women than because they are short. So I guess short men have some understanding of what women face.

I don’t mind short men at all because they’re usually still taller than me anyway. My husband is 5’7" He teases me for being short. (I should add I probably wouldn’t mind a guy who WAS shorter than me.)

One of my literary heroes is Miles Vorkosigan of the Vorkosigan Saga series. He’s 4’9" tall with a hunchback in a society that hates deformity. He gets around it almost every time because he’s brilliant and extremely good at persuading people to do his bidding. He starts the series failing an entry level military physical fitness test. By the end of the series, he basically runs everything.

I understand your point, though. The world is not made for short people. I understand this more keenly as a left-handed person. I probably won’t die for being left-handed in a right-handed world, but many people do, especially people who work in factories and operate heavy machinery. But I live pretty much my entire life being inconvenienced in small ways because I am not the default. Everything from doorknobs to stick shifts.

No, I don’t think anyone gets my real point. If I had wanted to talk literally about being short, I would have posted in a different forum. What I was getting at, I’m trying to see the world through the eyes of a non-white person.

Suppose being short wasn’t just physically inconvenient. Suppose the world was divided into Shorties and Talls. Shorties are never taller than five foot six. Talls are never below five foot nine, and they’re the majority. And this leads to condescension and othering, like Talls saying “You’re so cute; can I rest my elbow on your head?” and fear, with Talls clutching their belongings and stepping way out of the way if a Shortie is walking on the same sidewalk. And there are quotas of how many Shorties a place of business has to have, and Talls start accusing them of getting opportunities handed to them.

Or take your being left-handed. Suppose you needed left-handed accommodation at work. And suppose the boss made it happen, but always kind of held it over you, that he went out of his way for one of You People, so nothing else he says or does could ever be politically incorrect. That’s what I’m getting at: an allegory about prejudice.

Sounds interesting. Is that meant to be an allegory about racism?

Yes, I did get your real point. I understand it’s an allegory. But it’s complicated by the fact that depending on who you are, height can be a real barrier.

As my husband pointed out to me, being left-handed would be more like being LGBTQ because you can’t see it by looking at someone. He then said, “I don’t see you as left-handed” to drive home the point.

Whereas shortness or tallness, like race, can’t be hidden.

I think it’s meant to be about disability. In the story he’s born into incredible privilege but because of his deformity must always struggle for acceptance. His home planet has a worse version of our current attitudes toward disability. I think it was influenced by Shakespeare. Miles is like a good guy version of Richard III.

The Goodies did an episode around this back in the 70’s. For a supposed kids show it didn’t pull any punches in criticising South Africa and racism in general. This was a decade or more before the boycotts started, so they were ahead of the curve.

Apartheid was replaced by apart height which is an excellent pun.

A controversial episode these days as it contains black face, but it was mocking black face, not celebrating it.

South Africa (The Goodies) - Wikipedia.

I moved to Japan in 1991 with a newly minted MBA, and got an offer for a real job from investment bank UBS. I had to find my own apartment though. It sucked. Lot’s, and the vast majority, of property management companies simply wouldn’t work with more budget conscious foreigners. Didn’t matter that I spoke passable Japanese or not. Sure, if you were high end luxury, then it was no problem.

So, I went to several property agents that were not happy but willing to humor me. One company wouldn’t let me in the front door. Not even when I demonstrated passable fluency in Japanese and had the head of UBS Japan as my guarantor. Nope, it was don’t even darken our door.

I went back that night and was about a two second decision between busting out all their windows or not. I decided not to break the windows more for the risk of being deported, than for fucking them over.

While that doesn’t make me special or anything, I did walk in a pair of moccasins for a tiny bit on what it’s like to be on a professional salary, and be denied housing on the color of my skin. Boy does that suck. Jus’ sayin’

At 5’3" I’m a short man, and there is discrimination associated with that. I think the results are different than what Black people face in our culture, though. I’m not viewed as a threat, or too terribly othered. It is more of being ignored or not taken seriously. Perhaps that gives me some insight into the kinds of discrimination women face in some situations.

I’ve also had the experience of being the only white person at an event. I don’t think I can compare that to the daily experience of many people of color, because I felt no threat, and there was no systemic power imbalance between me and the other group. However, I can remember that feeling of a bit of isolation, and use that as a base to work towards understanding some minority experiences.

So if as a straight, cis-male, white person my opinion on this holds any meaning… I think there is value in using each of our separating characteristics to help us empathize with others. Just don’t take it too far. I’m different in ways that give me some disadvantages, but nothing like what some people face.

I hope you did eventually find a place! Yes, that sounds awful. By any chance, were you the author of a post from…oh, the 2000s, probably, but I’ve never forgotten it, along the lines of:

“When a foreigner does a crime here in Japan, and you read about it, it’s like an Onion article. A foreigner committed an act of murder on a Japanese citizen…The foreigner, who is not from Japan, did this, that…fled to another part of Japan, which is not his home country, where he was discovered by authorities to be foreign.” Was that you?

Nope, not me. And, yes, I did eventually find a place to live guaranteed by the head of UBS Japan.

I had this experience as well. I was in Japan, about the same time, newly married to a Japanese lady, working for a Japanese company and business fluent in Japanese.

We had been living with her parents but wanted to move out on our own. My wife would go around and find apartments she was interested in, but when I would show up, they would suddenly not be available.

One place was rather nice about it, and apologized that while they didn’t have any problems with me, many of the owners simply wouldn’t rent to foreigners. There were a couple of apartments that were interesting, and they called on my behalf, only to hear them getting turned down after they mentioned that the customer was a foreigner.

At one place, a guy was behind his desk reading a newspaper. When he heard the sound of the door opening, he put on his sales face, set down the newspaper and went to stand up. However, when he saw it was a white guy, he just waved us away dismissively, without making eye contact or saying a word.

Like you, I contemplated violence but also decided it wasn’t worth it. We did get a place and after that I discovered how to find gaijin-friendly rentals.

I think it did help me appreciate what others go through, although it was just a taste and really wasn’t to the same degree of what others face much more often, and to a greater degree.

Oh, and I also had this experience:

In the early 00s, after my divorce, I met a middle-aged Japanese woman at Roppongi, the area of Tokyo where foreigners hang out. She was looking for a Western boyfriend and was enjoying encounters with various men. She had a number of rental properties and while she didn’t have a problem fucking Western men, she would rent only to Japanese.

hahahahaha. Love this story.

I’m a fan of Miles Vorkosigan, too, which is why I call myself Dendarii Dame. (Dendarii is both a place and the name of space mercenaries he commands. It’s definitely about disability–he’s born disabled and faces prejudice which would have been lethal except for the power and determination of his parents and some of their friends.

By the way, I’m 4’11".

That makes me a Shortie! And at 5’5" I have never felt like a Shortie. Am I not average for women? I think you need to lower the Shorties a bit.

And I speak as someone who has spent most of my life being the only person of color in a room - I work in predominantly white spaces, I live in mostly white spaces, most of my hobbies are full of white people. But I definitely don’t feel overly short! I wish I was taller, but I am also good as is.