If Bush had authorized the Libya no-fly ops, you liberals would have been screaming in protest...

And the total attendance of all of those is less than for a single Glenn Beck rally.

Well, me too. Opened a GD thread on that opposition. Got hammered real good, too. Questioned my sanity, my intelligence, my integrity, my patriotism, my sexual orientation, my sexual disorientation, and my momma. Got two bits says you were one of them.

But the fever was on us in those days, the bloodlust, the craving for vengeance. Being prematurely right can be a real bitch.

PS: Not you, Elvish. The other guy.

Replying to Shodan,

That is still small potatoes by a factor of about 10 compared to the protests against the IRAQ war.

For the record I was ambivalent about the Afghan war (I didn’t want to end up like the soviets) but dead set against the IRAQ war (who in their right mind starts a second war of choice before the first one is finished)?

Yeah, I’m going to go ahead and steal that word for my personal use in meat space, because it is awesome. I don’t pay royalties or rights fees, btw. I may give you attribution (some guy on the Straight Dope!), I may not. I’m like that.

And then what should be said about someone that starts a third???

So what are your feelings about this one, and why?

Regards,
Shodan

bingo…

like how many on this board, if anyone disagrees with them, automatically assumes that they are some W/neocon acolyte and chickenhawk.

Hooray for those who got it. I was making fun of a righty meme that seems very powerful right now, i.e. “The same people who skewered Bush for doing thing A are silent when Obama does B.” To which my response is:
1: You know how Bush’s third term went… how, exactly?
2: You understand that A and B are different, right?
3: Same people? What people? You have a list of names, or just, you know, “those people?”
4: You know some liberals are indeed skewering Obama for his true similarities to Bush, right?

If you didn’t recognize what I was doing here, congratulations, you probably don’t have to listen to the same idiots I do.

Before we move on, I’d like to rephrase my earlier claim and state that there was relatively little opposition on the left to Afghanistan (and/or there was “very” little opposition on the Dope).

Nevertheless, there were significant enough differences in the responses to Bush’s 2 wars to refute any claims that any and all opposition was due to knee-jerk partisanship.

Are you willing to concede that point?

Probably not, because “Yeah, well, your guys did it too, or would have if they could” is the only argument he has ever known. Regardless of subject, too.

The number of powerful whooshes here is delicious.

Sure. I would phrase it that a good deal of the opposition to Afghanistan was based on partisanship or pacifism.

But a good deal of the support for the Libyan action is based on partisanship. We had tens of thousands marching against the invasion of Afghanistan - there isn’t very much of that against Libya. Part of that difference is because we aren’t invading (yet), but part of it is IOKIADDI. I think that is most of the basis for ElvisL1ves’ support, as well as Shayna in another thread.

Sure, there’s some opposition to Obama, but compared to that against Bush in Afghanistan, it is “relatively little”.

Regards,
Shodan

Clearly this is My Pet Goat moment, screwing around in El Salvador when his country goes to war. The fact that his team is all saying different things and nobody’s on the same page, as that Marxist midget Cohen detailed yesterday, only makes it worse.

When people said he had no experience, that he’s the least qualified guy in any room he walks into, I guess this is what they meant. Not that any of the lefties on this board would consider voting for his opposition though - so it’s pretty moot, as far as the SDMB is concerned.

But this doesn’t help his re-election any.

I don’t know - maybe Obama will get lucky and it will all work out even without any clear goals. But going to war is usually good for a President’s approval ratings.

Regards,
Shodan

Doesn’t seem to have hurt any, either.

Only a complete moron could compare Obama on a pre-arranged trade mission while lending support to a UN No fly zone as a My Pet Goat moment.

Your post is my cite.

I guess you can add noted WaPo columnist Dana Milbank to the list:

Milbank is not exactly a noted conservative, by the way.

Lefties say stupid things too, just not as often nor nearly so loud.

I don’t really consider Milbank a credible liberal voice, either. He’s a typical Villager.

I think he should have got authorization from Congress and be impeached if he didn’t. He didn’t. Impeach the bastard. TSS, a liberal.