If Dan Castellaneta died today would you want to see Homer dissapear?

AIUI, the voice recording is done first, with the animation being done to fit the voices. If the voice of Homer died after recording 2/3 of the season, it would be before any animation was done. They may well abandon the whole thing.

They could always get Robin Williams to do it!

(It would be payback for what Castelleneta did to Aladin’s Genie)

No, not a whoosh. I honestly hadn’t seen the episode or heard what they did. Thanks for the link. That was pretty funny.

If (God forbid) Castellaneta was to die, I would rather see The Simpsons go off the air than have it continue. A Simpsons without Homer would not be the same, and no one can capture Homer as well as Dan does.

I agree that the show should end with the death of any of the main cast members (Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, et. al.). Not only has the show been on so long, the other cast members share such a camaraderie going back to the Tracy Ullman days, that I couldn’t imagine any of the others going on after the loss of one of them.

I had this dream one time where Dan Castellaneta died but before his death, he recorded bits of his voice a la Microsoft Sam so they could just type in Homer’s lines. I think it’s a pretty great idea.

What?

No, no, no. If Homer died, then Ned should marry Marge and nim-Rod and nim-Todd would be step-brothers to Bart, Lisa, and Maggie. It would be the Brady Bunch from Hell!

I like this idea, but I get a picture of there being an episode where the running gag is that Homer’s life is threatened (using random bits of Homer-dialogue from previous episodes whenever Homer is called on to speak) and the kicker is at the end of the episode, Kang and Kodos finally destroy Earth for good…

…except Homer.

Agreed.

Many people underestimate how important the voice actors have been to the success of the show. The Simpsons wouldn’t be The Simpsons without any of the main characters, but especially Homer, and Homer wouldn’t have been Homer without Dan Castellaneta. All six of the show’s stars can take lines that you wouldn’t necessarily think would work and make them absolutely hilarious (and/or touching) by their delivery.

Strangely enough, there are cases where dead celebrities have voice libraries which can be pieced together and used in advertising and other projects for a fee. There’s a library of Ernie “Ghoulardi” Anderson the old ABC announcer, as well as Mel Blanc doing various Looney Tunes voices. Of course, it sounds like they are robots (as with the Chef thing in the South Park episode already mentioned), but it’s been done.

There just have to be 10 guys in LA who can do eerily accurate Homer impressions. Julie Kavner, OTOH…

On a related note, Laurence Olivier played Dr. Totemkopf, the villian in Sky Captain and the World From Tommorow, something like 15 years after his death. IIRC, they digitally edited footage of him in his younger years together and dubbed new dialogue for him. It helped that his appearance in the film was limited to a holographic floating head.

Impossible. That town is indestructable. Comet-proof, melt-down-resistant, impervious to floods.

Can’t be done.

They could use a Plotonium Warhead. Nothing can stand up against Plotonium (except, of course, for more Plotonium)

Holy Crap! I was speed reading the headers and missed the ‘If’. :eek: