[QUOTE=Stranger On A Train]
They don’t, really. Dog breeds are a result of artificial selection for highly specific traits.
[/QUOTE]
I have often insisted in that I would like an explanation that is not linked to how they came to be. I understand that dog breeds we have created for esthetical or practical reasons. I understand that human populations have not been purposefully designed by anyone.
Still, the distinction between natural and artificial selection is, well, artificial. From a genetic standpoint, there is no difference between short legs being selected against by a critical breeder or the ability to chase food.
I would like an explanation based on genetics or taxonomy or what have you that is not a matter of motives.
[QUOTE=Stranger On A Train]
The side effect is that most dog breeds would be totally incapable of surviving in the wild, especially in competition with native species.
[/QUOTE]
Ditto for a Zulu family in the North Pole.
It is true that dog breeds are not adapted to any particular natural environment (although I can picture several breeds surviving competently in the wild) but that is only because survivability is not a selective pressure on them.
Utilitarian dog breeds (e.g. shepperds, hunters and retrievers) would have a better chance to make it in the wild than designer breeds (e.g. toy breeds) because the selection that shaped them is closer to natural selection.
[QUOTE=Stranger On A Train]
Dogs don’t choose–even unconsciously–to breed with other members of their own “breed”; they’re forced to do so, and this often gives rise to detrimental recessive characteristics that cause them to be less fit in any sense except AKC breed standards.
[/QUOTE]
I don’t think enlightened humans do either (if we believe in a colourblind society) but we are restricted to what is in front of us (mail-order brides to the contrary) and that sometimes means people from your own “type”. Same thing with dogs, they will hump any quadruped in sight but pedigree dogs only get to see their own breed in their humping moments.
And I could argue againt these dog characteristcs being detrimental if they lead to being purchased by more affluent owners who will get them more quality food and allow them to have more offspring?. They still are adaptions to their new environment.
[QUOTE=Stranger On A Train]
Ethnic variations in human populations are almost entirely due to allopatric speciation. The venerable Ernst Mayr writes extensively on the topic of allopatric speciation in What Evolution Is, which should be basic reading for anyone interested in evolution. (It’s largely nontechnical, a fundamental understanding of evolution from the organism-centric point of view.)
[/QUOTE]
yeah, speciation is a whole different ball of wax but I get what you are saying. Again, just different pressures that still result in differential selection of traits.
[QUOTE=Stranger On A Train]
Human populations, when not prevented from contact via geographical seperation will invariably intermingle, even when societal pressures dictacte otherwise. Such intermingling progresses rapidly down the geneline, largely invalidating any attempts to divide populations by strict definitions of race.
[/QUOTE]
Well, that is what I am saying. Human populations, for a long time in their history, were prevented from contact with each other and as a result evolved different adaptations to their respective environments that resulted in different syndromes (combinations of phenotypical traits) that make them distinguishable from each other.
Nowaday these grouping are disappearing victims to globalization. The fences of our kennels are broken and we are interbreeding like there is no tomorrow. It won’t be long until we are all one mutt species.
But that these syndromes (populations, clustering, models, kits) exist (or at least existed) is, IMO, undeniable and self-evident to the point where ancient religions found it necessary to somehow account or them in their creation myths (specially if they needed to claim superiority over the not-us).
When the OP asks how different religions explain the existence of these without invoking evolution, responding that races don’t exist is a cop out of an answer. Fine, we don’t call them races anymore and we have refined our perception of them beyond skin colour but they are still there and they need to be explained.
I will leave the pulpit now for the supporters (or historians) of different religions to tell us how their different creation myths explain them.