[QUOTE=Stranger On A Train]
And you’re trying to redefine the term race to mean what you want it to mean, rather than the context in which it is commonly used.
[/QUOTE]
Well, in post 13 tomndeb asked what I meant by race and in post 17 I defined it and have stuck with the definition even if I had to change the name for it. If you are categorically telling me that the concept I am talking about is not called “race” then fine, let’s call it something else. “Populations” or “ethnicities” is fine with me. We went through this a while ago and I have avoided the word for the most of my posts.
[QUOTE=Stranger On A Train]
Any analogy to domestic animals, be it dogs, horses, or whathaveyou, is still still a falicious comparison. Domestic animals have been specifically and consciously bred for certain traits (docileness, obedience, appearance, milk-bearing capability, et cetera) often to the detriment of their survival in any nondomestic environment. This is a result of artificial selection. The high degree of differentiation in domesticated species has an entirely different mechanism from that which creates obvious differences in the appearance of H. sapiens. The analogy breaks down at this level.
[/QUOTE]
Two-part response. First, I understand your point about the analogy not holding for domesticated animals. That is why I asked about any other wild species that shows allopatric divergence (is there any that is not terribly obscure or that we could easily find pics to know what we are talking about) and suggested horses BEFORE being domesticated by men on the WAG that their populations in Middle Asia, Arabia and America would be somewhat different.
Second, I am not sure that at a genetic level, there is any difference between artificial and natural selection. Individuals with certain traits or combinations of traits get to reproduce and those without don’t. I tried to adress this somewhere around the end of page 1 but had to leave and when I came back the discussion was about something else. I would really like to retake that topic if you are interested. (I am really enjoying this discussion and I hope you realize that I am not trying to fight your ignorance but mine)
[QUOTE=Stranger On A Train]
You can redefine “race” to include as broad or narrow a group as you like–we can speak of a “race” of left-handed people–but that doesn’t make it scientific or useful.
[/QUOTE]
Indeed. That is why I tried to define “ethnicities” around a whole series of phenotypic characteristics a while ago. And agreed that, in the end, the classification is subjective even if mostly self-evident (in that groups of non-experts can classify people in these groups and agree on the classification)
[QUOTE=Stranger On A Train]
I have a friend who is have Filipino and half Japanese (by ethnic background); when she goes to Mexico, people talk Spanish to her. When she goes to Vancover, people curse at her for being Vietnamese or Thai. When she went to China, the locals assumed she was a native. (She doesn’t really look any ethnicity of Chinese to me, but I’m a blue-eyed Irish/German/Eastern European, so what do I know?) What “race” should she be?
[/QUOTE]
none
[QUOTE=Stranger On A Train]
…By and large, with a few very remote exceptions, human populations are neither as distinct or isolated as you believe them to be, demonstrating more of a blended spectrum across major land masses than discrete groupings useful for identification as a unique “race”.
[/QUOTE]
Going beyond the super obvious Inuit-Inca-Zulu-Mongol distinctions. Even within a contiguous land mass, take Africa, there are different groups that in pre-modern times had little contact and managed to differentiate enough to see themselves as distinct (kind of a requirement if you want to start a well orchestrated genocidal war on your neighbours). These groups pass the 6-year old test and even if their differences are less than those between them and say the Inuit, they do have certain sets of characteristics that differ consistently from one population to the other.