If I had an advanced knowledge of physics, what cool stuff could I do?

Not even for your own drinks, I bet. :wink:

Conferences can be miserable though. Imagine being in Hawaii cooped up in a conference room from 8:30 to 5pm every day.

Allow me to join Marisa in “I hate you”. I used to have general relativity lectures at 9am on a Monday morning.

Er, yeah. That’s why its Part III, didn’t they tell you that before you started? Besides, missing Hall lunch isn’t really that much of an issue now is it?

Anyway, lets stop hijacking this thread. And get thee to thine lectures! Bad mathmo!

Funnily enough, you’re right there. :wink:

I know, the horror. Having to fly all that way out, at the University’s expense, and then being able to take a week out after the conference, and only having to pay for hotels. :wink:

Based on observations I have made of people I have known with an advanced knowledge of physics, it mainly allows you to spend lot of time cramped up in a small office writing grant proposals until 2AM in the moring, constructing dynamic computer models that you hope are correctly coded so you don’t look like a buffoon, and realizing that your ability to do a dynamic analysis on why that cute girls’ breasts are so bouncy is still not going to get you any.

So it my brother is not a freak - all physicists do this?

[Do you also do the thing where you take a dewar flask into McDonalds and register an unusual customer complaint about one of their hamburgers - namely, that it is brittle and shatters when tapped on the counter? :smiley: ]

Well, that’s what happens if you let on to anyone about your knowledge :smiley:

Access to pure oxygen is groovy when you’ve got a hangover too…

No I’m 100% sure it was lava. I just can’t remember the exact temparature she recited.

I always thought you could do other cool stuff with physics, like improve your running technique (by making a few basic assumptions) and playing better at billiards for instance.

Also, if you could readily buy the materials, how difficult is it to make a laser (this would be sooooooooo cool)?

You sure it was lava, and not just hot coals?

If you have a super-advanced knowledge of physics, you can quantum tunnel yourself instantaneously from your present location to any other point in the universe.