If I killed bin Laden...could I still get the reward money?

Well, hopefully this question hasn’t been asked before, but…I know the DBI has a $25 Million reward for “information leading to the apprehension or conviction” of Osama bin laden, but could I still get the reward money if I just found and killed him, and brought his body to U.S. authorities?

Not that I’m planning on taking a hiking trip to the Afganistan/Pakistan border anytime soon, or to question the morality of such, but I am curious about the legal aspects of the financial angle.

Well, thanks for your patience,
Ranchoth

That would be the “FBI,” of course. I need to clean the dust out of my keyboard again.

No offense, but if I were a G-man, I’d be highly suspicious of how you got close enough to bin Laden to knock him off.

If it turned out that you were clean and had no terrorist connections, I’d get you your money. But, I’d still highly question how you found him, and would be watching every penny of that $25M to see where it went.

No offense tho. :smiley:

Tripler
Don’t worry, I don’t work for the DOJ.

Let’s say, some US GI is mucking about in Afghanistan and finds ol’ Binny and whacks him. What do you think would happen if word got out to the American press that the government wasn’t going to pay him the $25 million? How many angry Americans do you think would march on Washington? I’m betting that if the US government were to even think about not paying the money, for even a second, it would be so bombarded by incensed phone calls, e-mails, faxes, and protestors that they’d have to double the money before everyone calmed down.

In any case, if you kill Bin Laden you can expect the following things to happen once word gets out:
1.) Uncle Sam’ll cut you a check for $25 million
2.) Several nutjob “Islamic” groups will post a bounty on your head
3.) Total strangers will want to have sex with you
4.) People will give you things, like money, cars, houses, etc.
5.) People will be more willing to overlook it if you commit a minor law violation, after all, you did kill Bin Laden.

IMHO, aside from number 2, the other things on my list more than outweigh the $25 mil you’d get from Uncle Sam.

See http://www.dssrewards.net/english/wanted.html

Perhaps the word information could be subject to interpretation. Such as: I have info. that OBL is dead.

>> could I still get the reward money if I just found and killed him, and brought his body to U.S. authorities?

Yes, I cannot see why not. The only exception would be if you are in the military. In other words, if you are G.I. Joe and in the course of military ops you happen to be the one who finds and captures Mr Ben Laden, then you are doing your job and no reward is due.

But if you are a private guy who manages to capture him dead or alive, then yes, you earned the reward by fulfilling the requirement.

You might check the info again, as I recall that it says, ‘UP TO $25 million ’ not just ’ $25 million’…so you might just get $100k

What would they do if they had to give 50 people $25 million because each of them did something?

Of course if you are not in the military you would be guilty of murder in whatever country you did it in.

Of course if you are not in the military you would be guilty of murder in whatever country you did it in.

Wouldn’t the $25 million by itself get you numbers 3 and 5 anyway? :slight_smile:

Most likely, but not on the scale that being known as the “GUY WHO KILLED BIN LADEN” would. After all, if you shot Binny, your face would be plastered on every newspaper, TV, magazine, and whatever else in the world. How many millionaires have that happen to them? (Other than those in the sports and entertainment fields, not too many.)