If money were no object, how would you spend your time?

I’d do pretty much what you folks have already described: spend the rest of my life in college, not caring about grades or bothering to take tests, but just showing up and learning for learning’s sake.

Learning new things without stress for the rest of my life…ahhh, that’d be nice.

Two chicks at the same time.

Mostly, I’d make stuff.

Pottery, paper, cabinetry, clothes, blank books, knitting, paintings, furniture, maybe even a house. Anything using my hands, color and some sort of medium.

And adopt lots of dogs from the shelter and buy lots of frogs. Dogs for the love & humor they provide, and frogs for the beauty and silliness they combine. Plus I like the noises they make.

Damnit msmith537 you stole mine!~

Two chicks at the same time!

Sir, that is just *fowl *!

Not to be the voice of reason, but $25,000 a month is not a ton of money when you figure in inflation in 20 years or so. Granted, it is definitely good money but it cannot pay for the super elite stuff that you all think that it will. My wife and I make over half of that now and we are not even close to being able to afford the life-style that people are describing. It is only $300,000 a year.

My in-laws make several times that they can’t even keep up with some of the stuff that you want to do. Remember back when you were doing your college protests against the wealthy that Uncle Sam is going to take close to half when you are pulling in that much. You can do alot but you have to scale it back alot. Using the rule of thumb that your mortgage should be about 2 1/2 time your annual family icome, your main house wouldn’t even be that impressive in the Boston area although it would be in most parts of the country. You can live well but I know several people with over $100 million that wouldn’t even think about doing the stuff that you are describng.

Snorkeling, diving and sailing all over the warm, blue waters of the planet. It’s the beach bum life for me, baby!

My “location” would read Tenerife, Canary Islands. :wink:

Restore 60’s muscle cars.

Build things. A house would be fun.

Go to stock car races. It would be fun to see how many race tracks a person could go to in a year.

This is probably my fault. I typed “If money were no object” in the title line, when what I really meant was “if you didn’t have to work.” I picked $300K a year as an amount high enough to do about 95% of what your average person would WANT to do, yet still be within the bounds of reason. I think some people thought I meant “if you had an endless supply of money” though.

As for taxes, phegh. With no need for a job, you could devote yourself to finding tax shelters. If Henry Ford II could go years without paying any taxes, so can anyone who can afford a good accountant.

I’d open a bookstore.

It’s name is Chapter 13, and it has a big sign on the door: ** “No Brains= No Service.” **

It would stock only good books. History, the sciences, great literature, etc. There would be fireplaces, and comfy chairs, and my staff would serve you tea and cookies as you read. There would be a store cat and dog who would doze by the fireplace, and accept the pats of the customers with good natured aplomb. Soft classical music would play in the background, and the store would be decorated in burgandy and green, with large plants everywhere.

I would have a Kid Zone where parents could park their young. I’d hire the elderly to read to the children, and have toys and books to keep them occupied while mom and dad browse.

There would be a discount program where low income patrons would be able to buy books for less. Poor children could buy books for pennies. For others, the more books you buy during the year, the greater your discount becomes.

With the rest of the money, I would have an essay contest, and reward scholarships to smart, but impoverished kids.

Get a hybrid car, and spend all my time doing theater, bouncing between companies in the Bay Area and Santa Cruz.

And Giants season tickets.

Put my husband through college. He always wanted to go but money was an issue.

Patty

1. I’d pay off my absurdly high student debt. (I suppose that, for some people, the amount I owe wouldn’t seem too terrible. I, however, have absolutely no marketable skills whatsoever. That makes finding a way to cough up cash to the US Dept. of Education just a tad challenging. But I digress…)

2. I’d travel. Travel, travel, travel all over the world, collecting neat-o insects, learning about plants, animals, fungi, and (human) cultures and languages from just about everywhere.

3. I’d give a bunch of it to various charities and causes I support.

4. Friends, family, etc., etc.

5. I’d hire an excellent tailor and never, ever, EVER have to buy off-the-rack clothes again.

On the selfish, after debt, and family and friends and charity were taken care of, list

I’d travel the world & the US & wherever.

I’d dance… (or I think I would - it might be that I just love dancing because it’s a break from what I have to do, but at least I’d get to find out whether I really loved it or not.)

I’d be back in school as quick as is humanly possible - right now, I’m interested in linguistics… I’d like to play with it until it no longer interested me, and then move on to divinity, classics, psychology, whatever ! I’d have time to research until the cows came home.

And then travel more.

I’d buy a theater and have that as my toy for when I wanted to play.

I’d also get dogs.

& I could probably meet some nice boys.

I’d finish my undergraduate education, I guess.

I’d buy my parents a lake cabin and a trip to Europe, like they always wanted but haven’t been able to have because of helping pay for my aforementioned undergraduate education.

I would start a college fund for my little sister.

My best friend and I would take a trip to Ireland, then just go where the mood took us for a few weeks or months.

I would redecorate our house, and it would be beautiful.

Then I would buy a new wardrobe, get my hair done, and start my career as an actress in Hollywood. It’s always been a dream, but the chances of success are so slim and I’m a person who’s very attached to material comfort. If I could have a steady income like that, then I could just play around and go to auditions without starving to death between jobs.

shagnasty- Tell you what, I’ll trade my families combined income of $40K a year, and I guarantee that I will have the life that I’ve wanted with your income. If you can’t live quite comfortably on $300,000 a year, you should re-evaluate what you’re doing with your money. example- by your rule, you live in a million dollar home. why?
op- My life would be split 3 ways… raising my children, going to school, and training Martial Arts. Anything else would be gravy.

Yeah, $400K a year may not be a fortune, but it’s more than twenty times what I’m used to living on – with the additional luxury of not being tied to a job. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.

Besides, who said anything about houses? I’m living on my boat. :slight_smile:

That’s the spirit! That’s what I would do, though maybe not in college. I’d spend a year in Prague to learn the Czeck language. I’d refine my French in Paris. I’d study the ancient history of the Celts in Great Britain and northern France.

I’d take courses in blacksmithing and woodworking. I’d buy all the tools I want.

I’d buy a motorcycle with a sidecar, so I can take my dog riding with me.

I’d buy that Morrison take-down bow I’ve been drooling over, or see if I couldn’t get a personalized Blacktail bow built for me right away (maybe if I paid double??) Or maybe one of those overprice but oh-so-gorgeous Black Widow bows…mmmmm…

I love playing “what if I had a gazillion dollars…” :smiley:

Don’t worry, You can have them back when I’m done.:smiley: