'If science gives you a result you don't like, pass a law making the result illegal'

To continue the smoking analogy, neuroman’s arguing that it’s okay to keep smoking until you develop cancer.

Nah the cancer diagnosis is politically motivated. Keep smoking.

Jesse Helms left office in 2003, and from 2003 until 2010 we had a pretty good run, with no politician embarrassing us to horribly badly.

The 2010 Republican takeover of the legislature has changed all that. Thanks, assholes!

Yes, but it expresses most commonly given an American stimulus, the likes of which are conveniently abundant in recent years.

Believe me, if there were any scientific proof that oranges are bad for you, Florida and California would be steering the denial-bandwagon.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=15162134&highlight=Virginia#post15162134

Looks like around June 12.

The good folks in the Virginia Legislature outlawed the use of the terms “climate change” and “sea level rise” since they were "leftwing.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/06/10/496982/virginia-lawmaker-says-sea-level-rise-is-a-left-wing-term-excises-it-from-state-report-on-coastal-flooding/?mobile=nc

As I said in the other thread, King Canute was only kidding about stopping the rising tide. Honest.

And meanwhile in congress, Republican senators are offended by the scientists:

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/08/01/624821/sessions-i-am-offended-by-views-of-climate-scientists/

And now you know why we are getting virtually no action from the federal government on this issue.

Well, they’re pretty sure smoking cigarettes can give you cancer, but they’re not sure which one it will be. Chances are good the cancerous one isn’t in your pack.

And some details

Shit, people pay a ton of money to get a house close to the water, now the water is getting closer to the house, and they get all upset about it.

Is it too late to lose the Civil War?

I’d go for that.

It takes only the most cursory glance at the story to see this has nothing to do with science or scientific ignorance. It’s purely about graft and thievery. The legislators were, obviously, paid handsomely bythe real estate developers to ensure nothing would stop them from building pricey beachfront developments.

The legislature probably knows full well the risks, but they’ll have lots of money and Raleigh won’t be underwater, so why should they care?

Unfortunately, we can’t, you know, divide the ocean.

If Canadians want to do something constructive on climate change, they can start by keeping their giant SUVs and gas-guzzling motor homes out of the U.S.

At some times during the year it seems like every third vehicle on the Interstate is a humongous RV with Ontario plates.

I agree with you so far…

But I think you go wrong here - you’re underestimating the intransigence and resistance of the American right wing (especially as it’s found in the southeast) to scientific research. I wish you were right, but I don’t think you are - people really are that stubborn and anti-intellectual.

I did my part - when I recently flew to and from Jamaica, I deliberately avoided flights that landed in the U.S.

Let’s not go overboard. According to the article you linked the politician removed those terms from a report for being left-wing. It’s still silly but it’s a far far cry from “outlawing” the terms.

I sometimes suspect the Canadians of wanting global warming.

So that the Northwest Passage will become navigable. :wink:

Cancer, if it even exists to any degree (and there is evidence that big pharma just invented it in order to secure government contracts), is caused by purely natural phenomena. By the way, the only permissible evidence to support any view on this matter is found here.