If there is something as a foreigner living in the US has thought me, is that...

This part would be interesting if I understood what you meant. I don’t tell people I’m not what I appear, you’d have to drag it out of me and usually they find out from someone else. I just like to wear comfortable clothes and don’t give a rat’s ass what people think about my appearance. I guess that part might be an attitude of superiority, I do kind of enjoy it, but it’s mainly just indifference.

This is the part I consider a problem and am happy to on occasion redirect people’s thinking as a result of my appearance mismatching those signals. It’s easy to lie through appearance, wearing a good looking suit doesn’t indicate anything important about it’s occupant. I don’t care much about a person’s class, everyone has problems, everyone has to deal with life, I don’t tailor my treatment of people based on what they wear or whether I’m wearing my comfy clothes or decked out in a suit.

I thought very much like you once, but my excuse is that I was eighteen, and a self-righteous insecure snob who thought I knew how shallow other people were. What’s yours?

I don’t know what I need an excuse for. I wear clothes that are comfortable and I don’t judge others by the clothes they wear. Maybe the problem is I don’t realize what awful things I’m doing there.

Coming at this with a slighly less combatant attitude, the idea that “How dare you not see the real me” is the problem here. Like I said, I like to dress comfortably too when I’m not dealing with clients.

However, rather than seeing the need to “educate” people about how actually I’m a respected professional, I just let them assume I’m a uni student who Generic Dude On His Laptop because it’s no skin off my nose and I am the one conforming to the Generic Dude On His Laptop At A Cafe stereotype.

If I’m going to be somewhere that I need people to think “Yes, Mr Enfield is the respected professional he is reputed to be” then it’s not hard to put on a collared shirt and some long pants and shave.

Doing so, as I said before, isn’t just about “society needs to learn appearances aren’t everything”, it’s about the meta of dressing appropriately - the message being “I am taking what I do seriously”

A Rick And Morty T-shirt with a picture of Rick on it and the words “It’s time to get riggity-riggity wrecked, son!” would absolutely be appropriate at a BBQ or the beach or hanging out at a friend’s house. It would be much less appropriate in the budget meeting for a traditional Fortune 500 company.