If you could participate in a firing squad, would you?

Because the OP made specific reference to a firing squad, not a stoning squad.

Yes, I would just to see what it felt like. The guy is going to die one way or the other so I might as well get a little educational experience out of it. I don’t think that I would have a problem with it although it might cause nightmares for a few days.

However it lets you answer the question. Perhaps you hear on the local news that they need volunteers for a firing squad? I don’t know.

How you find out you have the opportunity is not that important. Just that you have the chance to volunteer.

Hell in China they charge your family for the cost of the bullet they used to kill you. Now that is some cold blooded stuff right there.

Nope. Anti-death penalty, don’t have any desire to see what killing another person is like. Wouldn’t do it.

I’m in favor of killing a few innocent people so that no guilty man goes free or lives another day, if he/she were facing the death penalty.

It is the sacrfice that some innocent people will have to make. Kind of like war. Innocent people die to protect us. In the war on crime, same thing.

I am a Marine Corps veteran, pro-capital punishment, and I own three firearms.

I would not volunteer to participate in the death of a condemned person.

Much along the same lines as Crafter_Man.

NOOO! There is an amazingly powerful documentry on the death penalty that shows several “death by bullet” scenes (mostly in China I think) that would put almost everyone off the death penalty.

Grrrr I wish I could remember the name of the film. The death penalty is nasty no matter how it happens.

This post cracks me up. Mostly because you’re absolutely serious.

I’m against the death penalty. However, it’s due to my fear of too much government power, not because I’m squeemish about killing.

I’m a hunter who regularly kills (or attempts to kill) big game animals at close ranges with gun and bow.

I would participate in a firing squad. I don’t know if I’d volunteer, but that would depend entirely on the situation. I have experience with firearms, so maybe I would be inclined to volunteer if there was a shortage of experienced shooters available. I would also volunteer if the person had committed crimes against my loved ones. In any case, I doubt I’d have much trouble sleeping afterwards.

Really? What if you were the innocent person?

Yeah, amen to that. If I can figure out a way to live to like 500 and then be killed by firing squad, I’ll have it made.

As for being one of the executioners, hell no. I’m morally opposed to the death penalty.

No way.

I was offered the chance to witness the execution of some Tibetans in China, and I did debate going, but declined in the end. I did see the convicts driven past on the back of a truck, in the last few minutes of their lives, though, which was disturbing enough.

It’d suck. What about the people who lived and/or avoided the wrath of someone who was a repeat offendor or parolie because we had a system that was more aggressive?

I’m not against the death penalty, and that is a GD issue.

We could go 'round and 'round, and we won’t because this is IMHO.

So what’s your answer to your own inquiry Lord Ashtar? Are you in or not?

I don’t think I could do it. I used to be strongly for the death penalty, probably because my dad is. As I got older I started thinking and decided that I didn’t see the purpose behind it, other than the crime was so horrible that we are just putting them before God’s judgment or something.

Personally, I’d rather they get put on chain gangs and go out and cut the grass along the highway or making clothes for the homeless. It just seems like such a waste of good, cheap labor.

Far too many people have been found guilty and sentenced to death, only to be cleared of the charge afterwards. How many times each year do we see an article in the paper about DNA evidence proving a man’s innocence - a man who has been executed or has spent years and years of hard time for a rape he didn’t commit?

Some of you (above) have said you’d serve on the firing squad. What happens if your victim was later exonerated, after you participated so willingly in his execution? Plainly and simply, you murdered that poor bastard, and in the process, you devastated his family and friends, as well.

Could you live with such a thing on your conscience?

The death penalty is not so much punishment as it is revenge. In some areas of the country, it’s also good politics.

So, I won’t be terribly surprised if someday, aggrieved family members - in places like Texas and Florida - are invited to pull the switch, press the button or squeeze the trigger to execute the guilty felon. After all, wouldn’t this be the ultimate in closure?

And no one here needs to be reminded that DA’s have been known to suppress evidence and resort to other schemes to get death penalty convictions, if only to advance their own political careers.

We’ve got to get a little wiser, a little saner. The death penalty is barbaric.

So no, I wouldn’t serve on that firing squad. No matter what.

:: orders another round for Lord Ashtar ::

I agree, though if I was a corrections officer, obviously it would be required by my job.

Though if the person had killed someone I loved, they would be so dead, and I wouldn’t care if I had the blanks or not. Revenge is not politically correct, but I bet it goes a very long way in closure!

I can’t presently think of a situation wherein I’d voluntarily do such a thing.

1. I am opposed to the death penalty for most scenarios.
  2. I viscerally detest non-choreographed (and even some choreographed) violence etc.
  3. A 20% chance of being responsible for someone’s death is unacceptable. A 1% chance is unacceptable.

That’s ignoring the possibility of a wrongful conviction, which is another big thing with me. Convictions can be overturned; firing squad, lethal injection etc. cannot.

I don’t think I could ever bring myself to killing another man. I just don’t think I could live with the guilt.
Well, I don’t know, I could probably kill Enzyte Bob and still feel pretty good about myself…