If you could participate in a firing squad, would you?

It’d suck. What about the people who lived and/or avoided the wrath of someone who was a repeat offendor or parolie because we had a system that was more aggressive?

I’m not against the death penalty, and that is a GD issue.

We could go 'round and 'round, and we won’t because this is IMHO.

So what’s your answer to your own inquiry Lord Ashtar? Are you in or not?

I don’t think I could do it. I used to be strongly for the death penalty, probably because my dad is. As I got older I started thinking and decided that I didn’t see the purpose behind it, other than the crime was so horrible that we are just putting them before God’s judgment or something.

Personally, I’d rather they get put on chain gangs and go out and cut the grass along the highway or making clothes for the homeless. It just seems like such a waste of good, cheap labor.

Far too many people have been found guilty and sentenced to death, only to be cleared of the charge afterwards. How many times each year do we see an article in the paper about DNA evidence proving a man’s innocence - a man who has been executed or has spent years and years of hard time for a rape he didn’t commit?

Some of you (above) have said you’d serve on the firing squad. What happens if your victim was later exonerated, after you participated so willingly in his execution? Plainly and simply, you murdered that poor bastard, and in the process, you devastated his family and friends, as well.

Could you live with such a thing on your conscience?

The death penalty is not so much punishment as it is revenge. In some areas of the country, it’s also good politics.

So, I won’t be terribly surprised if someday, aggrieved family members - in places like Texas and Florida - are invited to pull the switch, press the button or squeeze the trigger to execute the guilty felon. After all, wouldn’t this be the ultimate in closure?

And no one here needs to be reminded that DA’s have been known to suppress evidence and resort to other schemes to get death penalty convictions, if only to advance their own political careers.

We’ve got to get a little wiser, a little saner. The death penalty is barbaric.

So no, I wouldn’t serve on that firing squad. No matter what.

:: orders another round for Lord Ashtar ::

I agree, though if I was a corrections officer, obviously it would be required by my job.

Though if the person had killed someone I loved, they would be so dead, and I wouldn’t care if I had the blanks or not. Revenge is not politically correct, but I bet it goes a very long way in closure!

I can’t presently think of a situation wherein I’d voluntarily do such a thing.

1. I am opposed to the death penalty for most scenarios.
  2. I viscerally detest non-choreographed (and even some choreographed) violence etc.
  3. A 20% chance of being responsible for someone’s death is unacceptable. A 1% chance is unacceptable.

That’s ignoring the possibility of a wrongful conviction, which is another big thing with me. Convictions can be overturned; firing squad, lethal injection etc. cannot.

I don’t think I could ever bring myself to killing another man. I just don’t think I could live with the guilt.
Well, I don’t know, I could probably kill Enzyte Bob and still feel pretty good about myself…

If I were asked to do it, and the condemned has gone through the full legal process and is going to be executed regardless of my decision, then yes, I probably would. It’s not something I’d actively seek out an opportunity to do, though.

Really, though, I’m against the death penalty, mainly because I have very little trust in the criminal justice system.

A few years ago we were leaving for vacation and the minivan was loaded. We stopped for breakfast and when we came back to the car the window was broken and lots of stuff had been stolen, including my sons’ Gameboys. It really messed up the beginning of the vacation, cost lots of money to replace stuff and repair the window and was very upsetting to two little boys.

If it was the prick who broke into my car, I’d volunteer in a second. I’d even pay for the privilege. I’d even do by myself so there’s no doubt I’m responsible.

Any other perps, I can relate to everything posted above and depending on the moment I could have any opinion.

Absolutely not! I find the idea abhorrent.

No. I’ll admit that I can conceive of people who “need killing”, but I’m against Capital Punishment. Also, I don’t think I could live with myself if I killed someone who wasn’t attacking me or someone else.

No, even though my taxes pay for it so I can’t say I’m not participating.

And it doesn’t seem right that it be made personal. The issue is between society, who agreed on the rule the person broke, and the law-breaker whose life is being ended.

Nitpick: If you participated, you would have an 80% chance of being responsible for the death. Only one gun is unloaded, not the other way around.

If it was some thing along the lines of jury duty then I would see it as my Civic Duty and would perform as required.

Question

Thinking logically, if you are in a state/country that has the DP and you are on the jury for a trial where the defendant has been accused of some really really heinous crime where a guilty verdict will pretty much mean he gets the death sentance, then is there any moral difference between being one of the jury that votes guilty, and being one of the firing squad?

Kick ass! I’ll have a Killian’s.