If you do not sleep, will you still get hungover?

And if so, will it be of the same type? Being hungover is so often connected with “the morning after” taht I do not know if ti is avctually connected with sleep or not. It seem illogical that sleep plays a role in hthe hangover. What are your experiences?

Back in my younger days I’ve had occasion to have a cocktail or four too early in the day, and been hungover later that day. So, yes, it happens. I think if you don’t go to sleep, you are more likely to drink more fluids and stay more hydrated - lessening the severity of the hangover. Also, if you don’t go too sleep, you haven’t drank enough to pass out, so you may not have consumed as much alcohol altogether as in the staying awake scenario. Does that make sense? The same would apply if you were to go out drinking at night and just stay up.

*I do not recommend drinking early in the day. Yuck.

Yes, a hangover is a function of time, not sleep, though it may be lessened due to the reasons ladydisco stated.

I think sleep plays a role in the hangover in that you go from drunkenness, to unconsciousness during which you sober up, to consciousness… at which time your body informs you exactly how much you damaged it the night before.

This past weekend I pulled an all-nighter with a friend, a bonfire, and quite a lot of good quality beer (Anderson Valley Brewery, for the curious). After the beer ran out I began to sober up, but at the same time I was getting tired much quicker. Sometime after 8am I rode my bicycle to the coffee shop and back. (I know it doesn’t help, but dammit, I want my coffee!)

At 10 or so, sheer physical exhaustion drove me to bed. I was fairly clear-minded (not drunk) at that time, just tired. I slept six hours and woke up reasonably well. I know that if I had gone to bed at 4 and had woked up at 10, I’d have had a wicked hangover–far worse than I felt at 10 after staying up all night.

My WAG is that the continued activity involved in staying up burns the crap out of your body faster than sleeping, so that you don’t suddenly notice a pile-up of toxins in your blood when you wake up.

Whenever i’ve not slept after stopping drinking then i usually don’t get a hangover at all, although i might feel a little tired!

I don’t think its the fact that you haven’t slept that causes this however. Once i remember i got fairly drunk in the early afternoon, went home, but didn’t really drink many fluids. I got a terrible headache by the evening, and felt absoluelty terrible! Other times i’ve stayed up, but drank lots of (non alcoholic) fluids, and felt fine afterwards.

Hangovers are caused mainly by dehydration, and partially by toxics left over in your body. Obviously if instead of sleeping, you stay awake drinking lots of water etc then this will stop the dehydration, and help your liver flush out the toxins, so not surprisinly you will feel better than if you haven’t slept…

Theres an easy way to prove this though… Someone has to get drunk 3 times and afterwards they either sleep, stay awake drinking fluids, or stay awake not drinking anything.

Any volunteers?

Define ‘Hung over’ please?

I am not being sarcastic. I would like to know. Some mornings after a drinking binge (I am a brit - we binge-drink, sue me) I feel still drunk.

Other mornings I have an upset stomach but do not feel drunk.

Other mornings I feel normal but find it difficult to speak without taking a deep breath and ‘preparing’ my throat.

I never get headaches after heavy drinking. I never get the sensation that every noise is amplified. (both stereotypical symptoms of a hangover)

So what exactly is a hangover?

Here are the anecdotal 6 levels of hangovers.

Is there a stage that involves waking up with broken body parts and a severe inability to walk?
(I broke a vertebrae in my back and severely damaged my foot without knowing how a couple of months ago. To this day my foot is not fully healed, and I have to be careful when I bend or twist my back)

:eek:
You poor thing! Now, did you do this whilst drunk or hungover? If you did it in a drunken stumble your shoes (#20) may be to blame. If your accident occured while you were hungover, then I think that qualifies as a level 7. What happenend?

I`d bet you missed a step somewhere.

For me, the hangover is reduced by drinking good wiskey during the party, and by drinking lots of water with two Tylenol before bedtime. I can get pretty ripped and wake up ready to function the next day.
Beer is a different story. I sometimes get the headache during drinking and little seems to help the hangover. Though I still drink the water and take the Tylenol before bedtime.

I did it whilst drunk. If I remember correctly I was ‘celebrating’ the end of a long week on shift with my incompetent, hated, careless, imorral, stupid, bigoted, ignorant boss. I drank about twice as much as I would normally drink. Someone woke me up asking if I was OK. Being so ‘trashed’ I said the most likely thing to avoid furhter questins - “I am ok”. I thought to myself - “am I ok?”. at that point I noticed blood on my feet. I wondered how the hell it got there.
To cut a very long story short -several months later My foot is still not fully healed and I have to be careful with my back (no bending/twisting etc…)

More to the point - I have learned (the hard way) not to drink too much!

I understant that the physical effects of a hangover result from the action of chemical products of the metabolism of alcohol. It could be that sleep and the resulting inactivity allow these products to build up to a higher level than they would if you remained at least somewhat active.

Please be aware that combining OTC painkillers and alcohol may not be a good idea, as the effects of each on your liver and kidneys worsen when the two are used together.

Here’s the Straight Dope

I started drinking hard liquor at 2 PM one day (13th birthday, snuck it from my mom’s cabinet). By 9 PM I had a vague headache and by 10 PM I had an unbearable headache. I went to sleep at that point, not because I was sleepy, but to avoid the pain.