If you forgot to take the Hope Tax credit, can you amend your previous years returns?

If you were eligible for the Hope tax credit a few years back but forgot to take it, can you go back and amend your previous returns? How far back can you go?

I believe three years. There’s a special 1040 form for an amended return

You need your original tax return and a 1040X form. I just had to do an adjustment to my 2004 return.

Shouldn’t be a problem, but remember that you can only take it for two years total per person, and only in the Freshman/Sophomore years. If you had taken it already during two years, you would also have to amend the other return to Lifetime Learning Credit.