If you had the option, would you send your kids to a camp this summer?

If I had kids? Hell no. There’s a reason schools were shut down, and that reason remains just as valid now. They can get infected–they just don’t get all that sick–making them carriers.

I also continue to argue that, with the social distancing requirements, there is no advantage to being together in person over being together online. The only thing you can do is talk to each other while being able to see each other. Joint activities would be no different than those you can do over a distance–the rest are not safe.

So simply have a virtual camp with virtual activities. Send them stuff in the mail to do “together.” Give the kid a phone and let them go outside separately to various natural locations. Find ways to do similar things with human ingenuity, rather than argue the “usual” way is the only possible way.

Yeah, it’s different. It’s not necessarily “as good,” but neither would be meeting in person, assuming you would be responsible about it. Life has times like that–it’s not a horrible thing for kids to go through it.

Ha. I wish I could go to camp!

Reply, even though they’re not necessarily as affected (i.e., in most cases - but not all - don’t get as sick), I sure the heck don’t want the virus and I certainly don’t want my mom getting it. Kids can get very sick in some cases, but I view them more as incubators than anything else, which is enough in and of itself to give me substantial pause.

Yeah. Imagine the kid having to grow up knowing they killed their grandparents… can’t be easy to live with that :confused:

My children are hypothetical children, insofar as I didn’t do the reproductive thing. If we’re assuming I’m not trying to rid myself of them, fuck no I’m not sending them to a camp in summer of 2020 are you kidding me?!?

I live in an area that isn’t very hard hit (although cases are going up right now). I’m not sending my kid to any indoor camps. There was one all-outside camp I would have sent her to; I judged that the risks were minimal given in the all-outdoor setting, the social distancing rules they’d put forth, my trust in the organization that they would actually follow the rules, and the evidence suggesting that kids don’t get very sick and aren’t the prime methods of covid-19 transmission. …But all the other parents were making the same calculations and this camp was extremely overbooked, so she’s not going to that one either.

I think it would depend where you are, what the coronavirus situation is there, and what your community response has been. I wouldn’t send my kids to camp, but that’s because we have rising numbers and I know too many people who are having parties, letting their kids have sleepovers, and going on group vacations to the beach, but then turning around and saying they’re following all the rules and staying socially distanced. If I lived in a place with low numbers and people were cooperating with the recommendations, I would be comfortable with the situation you describe.

Today is check in day for Camp. All campers must have completed a 14 day stay home type quarantine. No sports travel teams, family vacays, or the like. This camp I know has modified every aspect of the camp experience to minimize risks to their campers. They have some really special traditions and I know it’ll persevere.

How did camp go? My daughter went to camp yesterday and this morning and last night was the first time I’ve seen her so talkative and excited since March. Also, she slept - SLEPT. She’s looked like a zombie since late April but was actually able to fall asleep last night after all the activity.

The camp is enforcing social distancing and all the counselors religiously wear masks and take everyone’s temperature before they’re allowed in. Capacity is below 25%. They don’t have quarantining requirements, but while she’s at camp and for 2 weeks after I’m going to keep her at home to be on the safe side. I bite my nails all day and want to snatch her back into the car when she sets foot outside to go to camp, but so far it has been worth it to see that mental decline eased.

They’re on week 2 now, just lost one camper to the brutal heat, even though there’s a lake and an air conditioned lodge and hall to cool off in. But the poor little mite couldn’t hack it and went home. Their campers come from all over the US. Most from Michigan but every year there’s always girls coming from other regions. Camp lhas been going since the 20’s so lots of alumni’s send their girls to camp.

My thoughts also. Heck, my husband and I won’t even go out to eat even tho our county is starting to open at reduced capacity, and we LOVE dining out. Once we can get a vaccine, we’ll feel more comfortable resuming a normal life.

Super glad I kept my hypothetical children home this summer.

Some 260 cases of the coronavirus have been tied to attendees and staff at a North Georgia YMCA children’s camp in June, according to a report released Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one of the largest known superspreading events in the state.

Maybe because our summer is your winter, and who wants to go to camp in the winter?

So coming to the end of another summer of residential camp, and my daughter reports some girls were saying it was their best experience yet. Parents were incredibly kind and thankful for all their preparation in conducting a safe camp experience.