If you have a tablet, when and where do you use it?

I use my Playbook (yeah…I actually have a Blackberry tablet…):
Read books in the waiting room at the doctor’s office
Read the internet in bed at night
Read selected parts of the internet as a distraction while on the exercise bike

At least two of those are done almost daily. I’m not telling which two.

For the most part, I use it in bed after I go to bed to read Kindle books and magazines on Zinio. I also play games like Tribez, The Simpsons, and Family Guy.

When I’m on vacation at my Mom’s place, I use it all day for web surfing, more games, and the usual stuff above.

A 2012-model Nexus 7 (Google-branded ASUS) WiFi-only. Very convenient when all I want to do is browse news, e-mail, the Dope, video clips, blogs, and I want to do it anywhere around the house, e.g. while listening to music in a porch chair. Or while at a coffee shop. Also have both the Nook and Kindle apps so it serves as an e-reader (though in that case shorter battery life and tougher on the eyesight than a real e-reader). It’s just so much lighter, easier to handle and pack and longer-lived on batteries than the laptop, and so much easier to read and manage than the smartphone.

Good for travel, except if I may have to do some Real Work (i.e. prepare complicated MS Office documents) in which case I’d have to pack the ol’ netbook. Mobile office apps on a 7-inch touch screen and no real keyboard just don’t cut it for the kinds of reports I get called for.

My mainstream laptop is still unchallenged if I need to use the keyboard a lot or when I need to use Office or PaintShopPro or iTunes or do heavy downloading or I need or want to turn off the wireless and plug in with LAN wire.

I’m pretty much the same as this with my Nexus. With a few tweaks and apps you can extend the battery life nicely. About the only thing I don’t like about the N7 is the location of the power button. There is at least one custom ROM which let’s you double-tap the screen to turn on and swipe over the Back/Home/Program keys to turn off.

iPad 3

It’s pretty much completely replaced my laptop.

If I am doing REAL heavy data work or writing or editing, I will be at my desktop, either at work or home.

Most everything else is the tablet:
Reading in bed, during my commute, or anywhere
Taking brief notes or reading materials at work meetings
Keeping up on email while traveling
Occasionally playing games
Any kind of web browsing for fun or personal interest
Watching movies or TV
Listening to music, esp. while away from home
Skype/Facetime, esp. so that my preschooler can talk with relatives. I personally don’t need to see my mom when we’re talking on the phone, but as none of the grandparents are local, I think it really helps a younger kid develop a more tangible relationship with them.

I’ve noticed I use my tablet for a lot of the things other people do on their phones. I seem to be in a bad zone where my hands are too small for most smart phones these days (when I got a new phone recently, even the sales guy was commenting on that and was trying smaller and smaller phones)… and I’m old enough that it’s getting harder to read anything of any length or substance on a small phone model. The phone is GREAT for when I’m out and need to look up a quick thing or check one critical email, or take a photo, but beyond that, it’s a strain.

iPad 2. I bring it to work every day and read the NY Times at lunch on it. I am not fond of reading anything more than a few sentences on my phone. And I don’t have a laptop, so it’s the only thing other than my phone I have that’s portable and not painful to read more than a few sentences on. I don’t type anything more than a few e-mails on it, though - I don’t work remotely, so that’s just fine.

take reading the sdmb - do you prefer to do that sitting on your desk OR lounging on your sofa chair, lying on the bed, walking to the balcony, standing at the ledge facing the wind, in the kitchen while you cook, in the toilet while you poop, in the train doing the same thing as everyone else, everywhere you go?

the screen is just nice for surfing the web, i’m so used to it now i will use it even if i’m at the desk.

I am a private pilot and use the iPad and the ForeFlight app for flight planning. My wife sometimes uses it in the cockpit to follow along and as a secondary GPS.

Kindle Fire HDX 7 - I use it in the doctor’s office, at dinner on road trip days (my best friend and I talk the entire time we are driving - and you shouldn’t talk with your mouth full anyway!), but mostly I use it for after hours, because I work at home online and when my shift ends, I don’t want to remain in this chair. So yes - I use mine a LOT. Mostly for wandering around forums, Facebook and Pinterest but also as a reader and to watch shows.

The same Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 as the OP. I use it constantly.

First, as a reader. I have a ton of books on it, and the size and weight isn’t considerable at all compared to a hardback book. Second in importance, I use it for web browsing - it is the ideal web tool for when you’re taking a crap. Third, e-mail.

After that, Google Maps and scheduling. The fact that it is WiFi only doesn’t matter much these days - nearly every place I go has WiFi.

I spend most of my time in Kansas City, and Google Fiber has struck terror into the blackened, withered hearts of the cable and DSL companies, and they are frantically improving their systems. Time-Warner has put WiFi all over the city, and I use my brother’s login to access it. Verizon even put free WiFi in the city buses. Any time I pull it out, I can access the web for free.

For my business shooting concert videos, I use it to show samples of my work - the 10" display and sound is so much better than any smartphone. During the shoots, I use it to monitor a pair of GoPro cameras that I have on the drummer and keyboards.

I also have Plex and Netflix apps on it, so I can watch most anything I do on my Roku. The Plex and YouTube apps allow me to search on the tablet and watch on the big screen via the Roku.

It is literally both the first and last screens I look at during a typical day.

CARMAGEDDON!!!

I like using my tablet in bed before I go to sleep - I don’t have an e-reader, but I’ve been experimenting with the Kindle app a little and think I might start using that more. I use it for recipes when I’m cooking because the screen is a better size. I use it for watching movies when I’m crocheting and don’t want to/can’t use the main TV for whatever reason. Sometimes I don’t touch it for weeks, and then it will hardly leave my hand for a while. I wouldn’t say it was a waste of money even when I don’t use it continuously.

I’ve got a cheap crappy 7" tablet that I only use for reading PDFs and my Kindle cloud library. If I’ve been reading in bed I may use it in the morning to check emails and read the news rather than using my phone. But not always, it’s wi-fi abilities are pretty poor. But all I bought it for was the reading.

iPad mini which I take everywhere because it’s small and light enough to carry around in my handbag. I prefer to use it to check email, Facebook, news websites etc over my iPhone because of the screen size. I also check out the weather forecast, my Ebay watch list and read Kindle books on it. I use Notes for, err, writing notes to myself and I use the calendar instead of a diary. I wouldn’t be without it. It’s 4G and worth every cent.

I use mine when I’m on the boat extensively for touch-heavy games I play. I also use it to read books from time to time (it’s a Nook HD+). I also set it up and check emails on it when I don’t want to deal with an extra window on my work laptop (surprisingly, the android mail app is a lot better than Outlook web app and such). I use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and a stand to have on the desk as a mini computer mostly for notes and work emails. I can also check work emails on it while I’m in my bunk… if I’m feeling motivated.

When I’m at home, it sits and collects dust. But when traveling and on the boat, it gets heavy use.

I use it all the time. I don’t have a smart phone

browsing the internet while away from my desk, while pooping, while at work

hella convenient

I bought an iPad Mini a year ago primarily to use as a reader. It is WiFi only. I get most of my ebooks from my local library and the statewide consortium it belongs to, and read them in the Kindle app. I’m very happy with the reading experience on the device and use it daily for that. I especially like the fact that I can use my phone as a reader when I’m away from WiFi, and the Kindle app keeps track of how far I have read in a book between devices.

Word With Friends and the NY Times Crossword apps are much better on the iPad than on my phone. As for things that I used to do on a laptop, Facebook and web browsing happen pretty much daily on the iPad. I got rid of my laptop right after I bought the Mini.

If I have heavy typing to do, I use my Mac desktop.

Same here. In addition I take mine with me to the bar. People are always gathering around, asking me to play some youtube video or something. Then they buy me a beer. It’s paid for itself!

I travel with a Surface II. It has Office for the normal email & document stuff I do. It has a browser for the [del]web[/del] SDMB, which is all-but unreadable on a smartphone.

Most of all, it has magazine apps for the various magazines I subscribe to. I’ve taken to throwing the dead-tree copies away as soon as they arrive. I can carry months’ worth of reading material taking zero extra space in my luggage. And zoom the content or read in poor light. e-books are the next thing I’m going to investigate.

Here at home I also have a laptop which I used to travel with. Nowadays it sits on my desk 99% of the time and is still used for serious work sessions. But answering a quick email goes just as well on the tablet.

I’m writing this on the tablet while sitting outside on the balcony in the breeze. Sure I could have dragged the laptop out, but this is enough more convenient to become my new standard.

Having said all that, I do not have a slew of apps on the thing. Nor do I take it along when just out and around for the day; my smartphone fills that bill.

I have an iPad Air and I won an iPad mini in a work contest last year. One of them is always in my purse. I read on it constantly - magazines, zite (for category specific web story searches) and books. I used to carry at least 2 books in my purse at all times just in case I finished one while waiting in a line. This is better :slight_smile:

I play a couple of games, watch videos from both youtube and local TV stations.

I almost never use my home PC for email anymore, the iPad app is sufficient most of the time.

I have an app that synchronizes my shopping list between my various i-devices, I take notes on it for work and for my own uses and the camera has been surprisingly useful in our new home experience.

Shopping with a picture of exactly what I’m looking for or the spot I’m looking to fill has made for less incoherent descriptions. I’m sure the sales staff appreciate it even more than I do.

I’ve got an iPad Mini. Because it’s more comfortable, I have an old fashioned cell phone and use the Mini for everything most people use their iPhones for. I also read a ton of books on it with the Kindle app, and the only games I have are on it, so it sees a lot of use at home. It’s also handy to have on public trans, if I’m using it. And because it fits in the pocket of every motorcycle jacket I own, it goes along on pretty much every ride. Nice to have along when I pull over somewhere for a drink or a bite to eat.