If you were raised to believe disease was caused by curses, would you still believe it today?

It’s a fairly logical assertion that most people practice their particular form of religion because they were raised to. But, we could dream up countless examples of how virtually no degree of indoctrination could convince many of these same people to continue believing factually baseless or logically absurd assertions throughout their lives. Is fear the driving factor here? The comfort and fellowship offered by such beliefs? What other reasons could there be?

I’m not sure, but I was raised to believe disease was caused by some form of pathogen or something scientific/medical. I have come to accept that disease is caused by curses and often manifest themselves in the form of a pathogen.

What led you to abandon scientific fact backed up by over a century of hard research for what is basically voodoo?

So if you were thirsty and someone gave you a bottle of water full of Giardia, would you drink it?

Lets see, ‘voodoo’ worked in my life, science didn’t. To me it doesn’t matter what can be proven, what matters is what works for me personally. How long would someone keep placing faith in science when it has failed time after time for them personally? How long would it take someone to believe in voodoo if it works even though no one can scientifically prove it?

It’s a pretty big leap to go against what everyone is telling you is true.

How so? I’ve met a very few people who say that they chose their religious identification because of how they were raised, but certainly the vast majority provide a different reason or reasons. I’ve heard certain opponents of religion point out that there’s a positive association between the religious beliefs of parents and their children, but we’re all familiar with the phrase ‘correlation does not imply causation’.

Speaking only for myself, I was raised in an atheist household and converted to Christianity because I found all the facts pointing to the conclusion that Christian doctrine is true. I’ve never met any person who chose their religious identification because of fear, and only a very few who let 'comfort and fellowship" play any role in their decision.

It just doesn’t work that way, there are no rules.

So if there isn’t any rule that your likely to get the disease Giardia from consuming the parasites that scientists believe are the cause, why not drink the bottle?

A reminder of how kanicbird believes science works:

Well, what actually happened is that you deluded yourself into thinking that. It’s certainly not true that the facts support Christianity since if it were, you would sing those facts from the rooftops.

As for the OP, people who are invested in their delusions don’t want to give them up because you have to admit you’re wrong. No one likes looking like a fool.

It is tied to spirituality, and the belief that I am able to discern the truths from guidance from above. In your example, sort of like a dare, you are attempting to control my actions by your challenge, which if I fall for it, I fall away from the guidance that I believe protects me which would leave me open to trouble.

This is one reason you can’t order God to perform on (your) demand, He will not fall for it, though a person might.

Science worked (and is working) in my life and billions of others. Voodoo isn’t. What do you conclude from that?

Wow, I totally thought kanicbird was being sarcastic with his/her initial post. I have to believe he/she still is and is continuing with the ruse for sport. He/she can’t be serious.

Let each person decide for themselves.

I am serious, I do believe science can be as indoctrinating and brainwashing as religion and is a atheistic religion of sorts. I’m not saying it’s worthless, as I do believe it is valuable when put in perspective of what it is, just the knowledge we are ready to use on our own at this time, but there is so much more we can access though we can’t prove how it works yet,

Of course no religious adherent would say the main reason for their beliefs is because it’s how they were raised. That could call into questions the depth of their faith. Do you really think it’s a coincidence that the VAST majority of people observe only the faith they were raised with? If nurture plays no part, why, relatively speaking, is there such a tiny number of conversions? Come on, you know better.

There isn’t a single genuine fact that logically “points to the conclusion that Christian doctrine is true.” Talk about correlation not equaling causation.

Sort of like we create our own reality?

I wish more people were indoctrinated into facts and reality.

The faithful have also been raised with the threat of Hell if they don’t believe.

When you consider most religions originally spread at the tip of a sword, how many could be convinced Santa Claus is real if threatened with death?

Good point. For that matter, how many people in North Korea believe in Dear Leader and his magic powers.

Threats of suffering work wonders to motivate people. I know when I was a Christian, the fear of hell is what made my mind gloss over my doubts.