I'm All For Women's Right's, But I Think...

I keep trying to convince mine that he should be the sole breadwinner in the family, but he’s having none of it. Damn women’s lib! Why should I have to work?!? :smiley:

Eh… as a man, I would much prefer women ignore tradition all together, and just try to find a balance between each others strengths and weaknesses. If a woman doesn’t want to kill a bug because she’s afraid of them, sure I’ll step up. But damnit, not because I’m ‘the man’… screw that. There’s a lot of traditional “man things” I can’t do, or don’t want to do.

I was going to reply to this thread by starting a new one where men can say what they want women to do, but I don’t think it matters. I can’t cook, BUT I’ll help! Maybe learn to do it on my own.

Put me down for kill the bugs and do the taxes too. I’m a real girl about taxes. :smiley:

I also wish to remove myself from all electrical emergencies, but that’s OK because he’s a (former) electrician.

Deal with bugs is a good one. Also, anything dead, like the squirrel that chose our front steps as our final resting place. shudder

On the flip side, I get to deal with most of the pets’ and kids’ bodily functions. He can’t handle the poop.

Too be clear, though, these are personal idiosyncrasies and not political opinions about gender roles.

This is mine. There’s no point in me struggling with something that I know he can carry around with far less effort, both because he’s a lot stronger than I am and because his arms are longer, so bulky things are easier for him to get around.
He also does the taxes, but that’s not really a gender thing so much as him knowing how to use TurboTax before we got married. (My taxes were all kinds of weird in grad school, so I did them on paper. Now it’s more normal but he doesn’t seem to mind doing it.)
I do all the bug killing happily, though. As well as dead squirrel disposal and most of the worst animal messes, as I’m less grossed out than he is by anything except vomit. Vomit is my achilles heel.

Keep track of the car maintenance. Because I don’t like to have to think about it. I just want my car to run, dammit!

and

My woman prefers these roles. Which is just as well–She loves busting up car salesmen and I’m terrifying to ride with (I handle the car like a pro, but I tend to be oblivious to other drivers, pedestrians, traffic lights, etc.).

But I am the spider killer and the tax man. I actually enjoy the taxes and murdering spiders gives me a certain special satisfaction.

Did a spider kill your father?

Yes, have you seen it? It had six legs.

Hm…might have been an ant now I think about it.

I kill the spiders and do the taxes but he clears the snow and takes out the garbage.

He also cleans up after the dogs in the backyard but that was a cunningly negotiated deal on my part when he asked to get a dog.

None of this is really based on sex though.

Carry really heavy stuff, or at least offer to

My man should lead when we’re dancing and mix the cocktails. I kill the bugs, and we hire a guy to do the taxes.

All men should be helpful and polite. Women too.

Open pickle jars, that’s all I’ve got.

Oh, hell, yes.

Yes. And precede a woman down the stairs.

And, this is serious, clean the cat box.

This!

… receive the oral sex.

In our marriage, I am:

1. The bug smoosher. Spiders get a pass since I like 'em. Those get caught and put outside.
  2. The dirty job guy. If it is greasy, smelly, or just plain icky, I get tasked.
  3. The confronter. If a person at the front door won’t leave, I deal with it. If there is a bump in the dark, I am expected to assess and handle it.

I’ve asked, why do I have to do it, I thought we were equal? Her answer: you’re the man in this marriage!

Do you often have people that won’t leave your doorstop? If so, where do you live?

…reach the stuff on the top shelf.

…grill meat.

…walk on the street side of the sidewalk.

Learn the use of apostrophes.

Women’s Right’s?

No, just in principle. My wife is soft spoken, and a few times we have had the roaming religious person or Kirby vacuum salesman (or alarm service, etc.) making the door to door aggressive sales pitch. She will be there for half an hour, the person not listening to her words ‘not interested’ or her body language. She is too polite to simply shut the door. I am much more assertive and rude, having been raised in the United States versus my wife who is from Indonesia. She has demanded that I become the doorman. So I am.