I'm already tired of "Signs"

The movie hasn’t even opened yet, but for God’s sake, I’ve seen enough promos already! I don’t even know what the movie’s really about, and yet I feel as if it’s been around too long.

It might be M. Night Shyamalan’s best movie yet, I’m just tired of the ads trying to scare me. Also, I hope Shyamalan doesn’t actually buy into all that crop circle bullshit.

On the other hand, I’m sure I’ll see it, because I liked his last two movies so much; I just hope nobody gives the denoument away.

Any thoughts?

Everyone now:

"There’s a monster outside my bedroom. Can I have a glass of water?"

I, too, am sick of the promos. They even had a supposed TV special on people’s greatest fears that proved to be an hourlong marketing masturbation for this flick.

Less is more, folks, less is more.

I’ve seen this movie and the promos make it out to be something that it isn’t. I really couldn’t decide if this movie was satire, spoof or just unintentionally humorous.

For the SDMBers going to see this, bring your tinfoil hats. You’ll know what I mean when you see it. :wink:

And I just saw a new promo, a different one, using lots of rapid cuts to make it look even more frantic.

I’ve gotten sick of that line, because it doesn’t seem believable. Normally I wouldn’t pick on one line, but when you’ve heard it twenty-eight times, it starts to be a little annoying.

In any case, the movie might be great; I’m just sick of the promotion. One of the things that made The Sixth Sense great for me was that it wasn’t overhyped before I saw it. It bugs me that the studio doesn’t have enough confidence in a movie to let it succeed on its own merits, without hyping it to death; some of the most successful movies ever have been sleeper hits that took off because of word-of-mouth (remember a picture called Star Wars?) but all the studio seems to care about is first-weekend gross.

“There’s a monster outside my bedroom. Can I have a glass of water?”

Actually there’s much more to that line when seen in its context. Glasses of water are used throughout the movie to foreshadow the end. It all comes clear in the movie’s “climax”.

I wouldn’t say it’s a bad movie. I may have to see it again to see if I missed the point of the movie. On the surface it seems very surreal.

I’ve also seen it. It’s really good.

I prefer that they have made it sound like the movie is about crop circles because it leaves the main plot mysterious to the average viewer.

It’s more about God and faith than aliens, really. You’ll see what I mean.

I was reading an article about Shamalayn today. Apparently he likes to take “B-movie” concepts and make them into “A-movie” material, which explains why he’s using the alien invasion context.

Also, it was filmed 20 minutes from my house. I know Shamalayn is a Philly local, but how the hell did I not notice that Mel Gibson was in town? Must have happened while I was away at school.

I’m just skittish about any movie that will try to make hay, as it were, about crop circles. Screw that. Any alien who can’t find a better way to communicate than bending corn isn’t worth paying attention to.

Buncha lousy corn-bending illegal aliens…

It’s all in the delivery…

Shamalayn should at least have the decency to admit that people do make crop circles, and make videos of themselves doing it. That “this corn’s bent too perfectly” stuff makes my eyes roll.

I LOVE crop circles. Freakin’ ADORE them. I love them because they’re temporary. All temporary art, such as sand painting and sculptures, butter sculptures, and ice sculptures, is fascinating to me because of the work that goes into them KNOWING that few people will see them before they go away.

It angers me when people attribute crop circles to “aliens” because that takes the credit away from the human artists who made them. That explanation doesn’t give credit to human creativity, imagination and innovation. Not to mention wit.

That said, I’m really looking forward to Signs, because I love MNS’s work. I don’t believe in ghosts or superheros either, but I loved The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. I’ve just been blocking out the ads when they come on, turning the channel or turning down the volume or leaving the room.

Btw, Ebert & Roeper reviewed Signs on Ebert’s show (they both loved it) and they showed a clip where human circlemakers were mentioned. It was kind of a put down (along the lines of “people who have no life” which pissed me off) but it made it seem as if these PARTICULAR crop circles were different in some ways from the human-made kind.

And yeah, Ebert & Dummy did mention that the movie isn’t really about crop circles themselves. It looks like the previews don’t actually give anything away.

Well, I’m getting more interested now. The whole crop circle phenomenon is kind of interesting psychologically; you’ve got artists/pranksters who are willing to go out in the middle of the night and create intricate patterns in grainfields; and you’ve got the idiots who won’t believe they’re not made by aliens or fairies, even when the artists show them what they did.

It is funny to create crop circles for a movie, then have a scene where the characters say the circles couldn’t have been created by humans…

Well, The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable both had a lot going on that didn’t show up in the previews, so I’m going to give Shyamalan the benefit of the doubt and go to see this with an open mind. Just don’t want to see any more promos.

I read in Premiere magazine that the movie started filming a week or two after September 11th.

Personally, I’m looking forward to the movie. I’m a big fan of Shyamalan’s previous work and plus Joaquin Phoenix is in this one. I think he’s a great actor and I’m looking forward to seeing how he and Shyamalan work together.

I think you’ll like J. Phoenix in this one. I thought it was a better performance than in Gladiator, but that may be because his character was more likeable in Signs.

Shyamalan’s got a bit bigger role in this movie than in his past ones. He’s surprisingly good.

I think you’ll like J. Phoenix in this one. I thought it was a better performance than in Gladiator, but that may be because his character was more likeable in Signs.

Shyamalan’s got a bit bigger role in this movie than in his past ones. He’s surprisingly good.

An interesting look at the business of making movie trailers in the NY Times with a special focus on Signs. (free registration needed)

Anyone else remember the fake “news” special they had for the premier of Independence Day? Or the more recent one for The X-Men?

“IIII’ll ne-ver te-ell”

I’ve seen just enough previews of this movie to make me want to see it. I think I’ve seen four. Do I watch that little tv, or do I live in a low-return market that no-one cares to advertise in?

I’m sick of it too, but I think I can guess what happens. Or rather I know someone who thinks he can…

The family turns out to be the real aliens? Or perhaps Mel Gibson’s first wife, who ended up dying, something like that?

Zoggie, I don’t know where you heard THAT.

I just got back from seeing “Signs”. What a fun, smart movie. It’s no “Sixth Sense,” but only because of the ending. It was scary as all anything at parts, and VERY funny at the same time. My friends and I were screaming and laughing all at once.

AND, we were at a press preview, so we got tin foil hats as token gifts :slight_smile: WHEE!

Please spoil this movie for me. I’m not going to be able to see it(no money).